ICE District Phase 2 | 149.95m | ?s | ICE District Prop.

This is brilliant. When will someone present this to city council as a solution to Edmonton's own sprawl problem?

And so what if single-family developers take their business to bedroom communities, or to other cities entirely? We need to look out for our #1, our Edmonton. We need to fill our surface lots, brownfields, and TOD proposals, all sooner rather than later.

We actually did something similar last year (in fact, beating Minneapolis to it); RF1 zoning, previously limited to SFH, now allows duplexes, and each of those units is allowed a secondary suite on top of that.

I always felt that rather than a greenbelt, Edmonton should institute a "development per capita" model. I don't know if this exists anywhere else, but essentially when the population, commercial and industrial developments hit certain targets the city can then approve outward development.

We actually did something similar last year (in fact, beating Minneapolis to it); RF1 zoning, previously limited to SFH, now allows duplexes, and each of those units is allowed a secondary suite on top of that.

Thanks Dave. I recall reading this article from when the vote passed; I must've forgotten though, especially since Minneapolis got all the glory (read: media coverage). Typical Edmonton - quietly making changes behind the scenes rather than jumping up and down and waving arms on the world stage by making a fuss ("LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT MEE!!! LOOK AT MEEE!!!!!!") unlike other cities in Canada do, which are no greater in my opinion (although their residents certainly feel superior).

Feeling a touch bitter because I had a teammate visit Edmonton about two weeks ago (my project lead, actually) and he had some rather unkind things to say about Edmonton, despite this being his first visit ever. I can't respect an opinion if it's not valid, and I don't understand the hate for our city from residents of Vancouver, Calgary and elsewhere. Edmonton really needs to get over this image problem, and the best way to do that is to keep planning for the future and making these incremental zoning changes that will dramatically redefine our city in the coming decades, whilst finding a way to put an end to the boom-and-bust construction cycle through continued diversification, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I've often found this type of response from out of town visitors. Edmonton is not a city that hits you over the head with it's best features aside from the river valley (great) and the mall (less great). The good stuff in this city is spread out and not always terribly obvious. Outside of stretches of Whyte (and maybe 104st) there really aren't clear, walkable entertainment areas with a clustering of legitimately good restaurants/bars/shops, the real "good" stuff tends to be a bit spread out, on side streets, etc.

People really need to visit the city with someone "in the know," or do a ton of research to find the best it has to offer. I can easily see how any other trip here would leave people feeling disappointed

I will have a visitor coming to the city late summer. This is my plan for them in no particular order. BTW. timing is everything.
A) Take them to Elk Island National Park. They'll be blown away with the wildlife ( near dusk you'll see the most). Kayaking at Astoria lake there. BBQ. Beautiful!
B) Mill Creek Ravine or River Valley. The best trails. Stunning!!
3) Walk around Strathcona and a streetcar trip across the High level.
4) Botanical Gardens near Devon
5) Royal Alberta Museum, a citadel play, Space science centre.
6) Whatever festival is going on at the time.
7) An Eskimo game. Great facility and atmosphere
8) Legislature Building
9) WEM.. although ugly as sin on the outside.
10) One of the better beaches close to the city.
11) Art Gallery
12) A happening Pub on Whyte
13) Comedy stand up. Plenty in the city.
14) Edmonton Queen Riverboat
15) Fort Edmonton
16) Guided ghost tour
This is all in the CMA of Edmonton. That's quite a bit. Winter, the city is crap. Late summer, invite whomever and enjoy. Timing is key. This city has a lot actually. I'm quite the proponent of the gondola. Ties a lot of our best areas and would be wonderful for tourism.

Last edited:
I will have a visitor coming to the city late summer. This is my plan for them in no particular order. BTW. timing is everything.
A) Take them to Elk Island National Park. They'll be blown away with the wildlife ( near dusk you'll see the most). Kayaking at Astoria lake there. BBQ. Beautiful!
B) Mill Creek Ravine or River Valley. The best trails. Stunning!!
3) Walk around Strathcona and a streetcar trip across the High level.
4) Botanical Gardens near Devon
5) Royal Alberta Museum, a citadel play, Space science centre.
6) Whatever festival is going on at the time.
7) An Eskimo game. Great facility and atmosphere
8) Legislature Building
9) WEM.. although ugly as sin on the outside.
10) One of the better beaches close to the city.
11) Art Gallery
12) A happening Pub on Whyte
13) Comedy stand up. Plenty in the city.
14) Edmonton Queen Riverboat
15) Fort Edmonton
16) Guided ghost tour
This is all in the CMA of Edmonton. That's quite a bit. Winter, the city is crap. Late summer, invite whomever and enjoy. Timing is key. This city has a lot actually. I'm quite the proponent of the gondola. Ties a lot of our best areas and would be wonderful for tourism.
I like your list, and I agree. Despite being termed "a winter city", Edmonton is far easier for visitors to digest in the summer months. My Nashville friends were here for six days in July, and we ran out of time to do/see everything I wanted to. Our biggest takeaway from that visit was that we didn't have enough down time to visit at home. That's a very good sign. Anyone unwilling to give Edmonton a chance is not worthy of my time, unless I am forced to work with them.

I like your list, and I agree. Despite being termed "a winter city", Edmonton is far easier for visitors to digest in the summer months. My Nashville friends were here for six days in July, and we ran out of time to do/see everything I wanted to. Our biggest takeaway from that visit was that we didn't have enough down time to visit at home. That's a very good sign. Anyone unwilling to give Edmonton a chance is not worthy of my time, unless I am forced to work with them.
Yes, that is a good sign. Edmonton in the winter has that dirty, grime look. It can't be helped with cars, slush and snow. I wouldn't bring anyone here now. I think the last five years especially has put the city on another level with all the development that has happened. It's only going to get better and more attractive for us and for the visitors. I can add that very few cities can boast such a beautiful river valley and ravine with kms of trails and wildlife throughout. It's a gem.

IMG_6665.JPG

Not sure how residential demand in the core will increase when greenfield development is so cheap. And we don't have bad traffic like a Toronto, so buying in Edgemont and heritage valley isn't even bad. 350k for 3bdrm, brand new builds. Most new condos are 400-800k for 2bdrms. Hard sell for young people. Most of my friends that work DT rent and plan to leave once they want to buy or start a family. Getting people to buy in the core feels key. We need new developments on the edges to stop so we can densify the core and make houses more expensive/representative of their true suburban sprawl costs. No wonder transit is so bad. All the new neighborhoods after 1995 are useless for busses and walkability.

Not sure how residential demand in the core will increase when greenfield development is so cheap. And we don't have bad traffic like a Toronto, so buying in Edgemont and heritage valley isn't even bad. 350k for 3bdrm, brand new builds. Most new condos are 400-800k for 2bdrms. Hard sell for young people. Most of my friends that work DT rent and plan to leave once they want to buy or start a family. Getting people to buy in the core feels key. We need new developments on the edges to stop so we can densify the core and make houses more expensive/representative of their true suburban sprawl costs. No wonder transit is so bad. All the new neighborhoods after 1995 are useless for busses and walkability.
Truth.

If you have the means to do so, even buying infill semi-detached is still better value than buying a condo downtown.

Back