Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
It's a private development that has missed the mark on more than one occasion and continues to make decisions to deviate from its original vision/intention.

You don't put a liquor store or giant pharmacy/convenience into an area that you want to be pedestrian driven, entertainment focussed and a gathering place.

They have a fair amount of space and are trying to fill it, although I think some questionable choices are being made that could undermine its long term value. Short term thinking can be a trap.

I would imagine they have probably approached tenants similar to or suggested here that would fit with it better. I suspect a lot of major retail and entertainment businesses are still COVID shy, so the timing is not good.

Obviously the world's retail and entertainment markets are being significantly impacted and so it will be a continued challenge for them, but we have to remember that pre-leasing/buildup for this goes back to 2016-2019, ie. pre-covid.

I still expect things to get filled, but will it be more of an entertainment district or service area for the towers and employees above?

Well considering we have three banks, a grocery store, a liquor store, and a pharmacy, theres not much that seems entertaining about that.
I mean, a liquor store and pharmacy *could* make for a good time... just not for the crowds we want to attract.

On a more serious note, it's totally fair to bring up the realities of the pandemic. I understand why these leases are being signed, and a part of me is glad to at least see businesses going in there now, because they'll bring desperately needed foot traffic for the area and I'm relieved that some businesses feel confident enough to open there.

However, I also feel that it's valid and acceptable to be disappointed by this. Although taxpayers aren't actively supporting this development, the city did contribute a substantial amount of money to the arena based on the premise that an entertainment district would develop around it and revitalize our downtown core. It has been quite successful in changing the area thus far (I made this album a few years ago, based on someone else's work from 2015ish). However, it has also had some glaring shortcomings, such as with some of the businesses that have been attracted to this point. Should One Properties go bankrupt while holding out for the "right" types of businesses? Of course not, I certainly hope we can all agree on that. But we also shouldn't be fine with it just because we understand why they're making these decisions. The businesses that get attracted now will set the tone and the tempo of the area for years to come, and as Edmontonions (not to mention arena stakeholders), we all have a stake in this.

Hopefully One Properties still goes ahead with phase 2 of the Ice District development, and the increase in residents living in that area helps to shape future commercial offerings.

Remember folks that in many places, grocery stores can sell liquor. Alberta requires separate stores. The liquor store is essentially an extension of the grocery store. This is not a bars on the window type liquor store.

Akin to central Stockholm or Helsinki with a busy, well located grocery (including alcohol) store.

L
It's a private development that has missed the mark on more than one occasion and continues to make decisions to deviate from its original vision/intention.

You don't put a liquor store or giant pharmacy/convenience into an area that you want to be pedestrian driven, entertainment focussed and a gathering place.
What you do is put in those places people who are willing to pay the rent.

Last edited:

Back