Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
What I'd love to see in the Ice (entertainment) district would be something like the House of Blues. Essentially some sort of live music venue that could draw large crowds but nothing large enough to remotely compete with Rogers Place.
Fun idea, and poetically just since WEM lost their Hard Rock Cafe many years ago. Let's turn the Ice District into Beale Street North...that would really make it a destination.

Yeah, there is this mythology, strangely often from people that don't live here, that we have weeks of -40 weather every winter. They probably saw something on TV maybe years ago about it being close to -40 one day or two and that somehow has morphed in their mind into it being -40 here for much of the winter. While it is true, the temperature does fluctuate considerably, it seldom is that cold for long, especially with climate change. I think we seldom even see -30 or colder much any more and the last few winters it seldom got below -20.
Thanks, but I was born and raised in Edmonton, and I've never been away for longer than 3 weeks at a time. I'll be 40 next year. There is also this mythology that climate is not changing, but what I've observed in the past few years is nothing like the stable winter seasons I experienced firsthand in years like 1988 or 89, for example. Climate change does not make our winters warmer; it makes them more unpredictable and prone to infrastructure-damaging temperature swings, and those polar snaps will get locked into place for longer periods as things progress further. It's not good news.

Anyway, I'm straying too far from topic. BG. I'm feeling hopeful for the tower now that the podium is nigh constructed...

Last edited:
Yeah, there is this mythology, strangely often from people that don't live here, that we have weeks of -40 weather every winter. They probably saw something on TV maybe years ago about it being close to -40 one day or two and that somehow has morphed in their mind into it being -40 here for much of the winter. While it is true, the temperature does fluctuate considerably, it seldom is that cold for long, especially with climate change. I think we seldom even see -30 or colder much any more and the last few winters it seldom got below -20.
Sure, but -20 is the new -40.

We have been less hardy and look in awe at our friends in Vancouver or Toronto much more often these days during those Mid-Nov -15s when their fall is in full swing.

Sure, but -20 is the new -40.

We have been less hardy and look in awe at our friends in Vancouver or Toronto much more often these days during those Mid-Nov -15s when their fall is in full swing.
We can blame environment Canada for their stupid meaningless wind chill warnings based on a temperature. When they say the temperature is -30 with a wind chill factor of -40 what do you think people remember? What is the real temperature? It can only be one value and it is not -40. If they want to warn people of dangerous weather conditions they could have a wind chill index from 1to 10 with 10 where exposed flesh could freeze in less than 5 minutes. That would be a lot more useful.

We can blame environment Canada for their stupid meaningless wind chill warnings based on a temperature. When they say the temperature is -30 with a wind chill factor of -40 what do you think people remember? What is the real temperature? It can only be one value and it is not -40. If they want to warn people of dangerous weather conditions they could have a wind chill index from 1to 10 with 10 where exposed flesh could freeze in less than 5 minutes. That would be a lot more useful.

Exactly, "feels like". Let's just throw out all our thermometers and go with what we feel.

8785E557-D7C9-45D5-9564-3B5817B554E4.jpeg

I don't even recall what it is like having that end open to the public and with free movement.
Funny how it's only now occurred to me that this will be open to the public. Just been assuming that's part of the Ice District castle...

Back