Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Wife and I have only purchased groceries on-line twice for pick up. Have not used it again since. Not that it's bad, but unless you have a narrow list, one trip to the grocery store is quicker than searching through everything online. Also just not overly interested in paying a service fee and tip for something we can do ourselves.

32F88172-D986-4BF6-8B38-760EFCE86595.jpeg

I'm surprised so few people have said they buy online. I know the stats show we are currently around 40-50% of people buying online at least sometimes. (Not sure how many of those buy once every few months vs every time they shop though).

I still enjoy the smaller store experience, but do not miss Walmart or superstore with big carts and crying kids haha. Ordering on my phone while on the bus or quickly before bed is so nice. 98% of the time I'm happy with what I get too! (Initially I was quite concerned produce would be crappy.)

Screenshot_20210105-090730_Chrome.jpg

Refine your experience.

There is a simple pleasure of places such as the Italian Centre, Paraiso Tropical, Bonton, Breadland, KJ Mart or Acme.
Add Tienda Latina/Argyll Foods to that as well. They're small, but got one of the best selections of Latin American goods in town (they're even a bit more diverse than Paraiso Tropical).

My late great-uncle used to live in a long-term care facility nearby. He grew to like the area due to its walkability, despite initially resenting how noisy the ice district got. The one thing he really missed was a good grocery store that he could walk to, since he didn't drive. This will be wonderful for the local residents, and I can't wait to see it open.

Also, I feel like a bit of a boomer for saying this (I'm 21), but I go to the grocery store once or twice a week. I find it satisfying to get my own food myself, rather than having someone get it for me. Especially bananas - I'm very fussy with which bananas I take because I hate the bruised ones. Plus, instacart fees add up and they pocket the savings from sales. I don't flyer shop, but those fees add up, and not everyone can afford the luxury of buying something regardless of whether it's on sale or not. This could improve with time sure, but as a retail employee and someone who's a fan of jobs, I don't want this to be the norm. Maybe I'm just behind with the times.

My late great-uncle used to live in a long-term care facility nearby. He grew to like the area due to its walkability, despite initially resenting how noisy the ice district got. The one thing he really missed was a good grocery store that he could walk to, since he didn't drive. This will be wonderful for the local residents, and I can't wait to see it open.

Also, I feel like a bit of a boomer for saying this (I'm 21), but I go to the grocery store once or twice a week. I find it satisfying to get my own food myself, rather than having someone get it for me. Especially bananas - I'm very fussy with which bananas I take because I hate the bruised ones. Plus, instacart fees add up and they pocket the savings from sales. I don't flyer shop, but those fees add up, and not everyone can afford the luxury of buying something regardless of whether it's on sale or not. This could improve with time sure, but as a retail employee and someone who's a fan of jobs, I don't want this to be the norm. Maybe I'm just behind with the times.
I can agree with you there, as someone who's of a similar age (23) I really prefer getting my groceries by seeing or touching them which is why I never got into online grocery delivery. Maybe it's just the immigrant in me, but I gotta be able to see and touch the product in order to buy it and trust it lol.

I can agree with you there, as someone who's of a similar age (23) I really prefer getting my groceries by seeing or touching them which is why I never got into online grocery delivery. Maybe it's just the immigrant in me, but I gotta be able to see and touch the product in order to buy it and trust it lol.
I don't think it's just the immigrant in you and I don't believe you sound like a boomer at all @CplKlinger. I'm a millennial, although I'm more or less in the middle of the pack, (I'll be 30 later this year) and it's actually a mark of our generation that, as much as we like our online shopping and are, overall, very tech savvy, we also like experiences more than anything. So buying your own groceries, cooking at home, etc, is somewhat of a trend, especially for this generation of young urban dwellers that we somewhat represent.

Green and Walkable Cost Share Agreement approved by council's executive committee
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
By Emily Rendell-Watson
Edmonton city council's executive committee has approved a recommendation to reimburse the developers of the Ice District for their portion of "Green and Walkable" expenses for upgrades to downtown Edmonton. The approval went through without debate.

The Green and Walkable Downtown project includes "improvements to downtown streets that will make (it) more accessible, easier to navigate and more pleasant for pedestrians." Improvements are set to take place over the next 15 to 20 years.

According to the report presented to the committee, the "total cost of the sidewalk infrastructure and amenities being constructed on city land is estimated at more than $6 million."

Following a review by city administration, it was determined that $2.895 million of the total costs are considered enhancements which would qualify as "Green and Walkable" sidewalk infrastructure and amenities which "go beyond minimum standards, and ... offer amenity value to the public." The funds to reimburse EAD Property Holdings (102) Corp. are expected to come from the downtown community revitalization levy (CRL).

These subsidies really bother me. I get that it may enhance infrastructure, yet this may have been done without the subsidy available. ~$3M for upgraded lighting, benches, and bike racks seems like an extreme amount to be giving a private company. Subsidies to developers here doesn't really seem to add much value to the city in my eyes, and this corporate welfare probably needs to stop. Especially since historically, developers are the largest contributors to municipal election campaigns.

If I am not well informed to some of the benefits of these subsidies, please enlighten me, as at times there is more to the story that I do not understand or realize.

Back