Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
^^^^you pay for the bank branches through service fees, atm charges, etc. You "love to hear", so here goes... now this is only a personal experience, not a trend setter and probably not a public commonality (I don't like to make broad sweeping statements that are not supported by data -- and I encourage others to refrain from doing that as well). For three meals per week (no particular set days) my wife and I order from a food packaging service (based in Chicago) where the meal ingredients come with specific high quality recipes prepared by named chefs -- the food service is called "Home Chef" -- https://www.homechef.com/the-best?u...MImuPztcb-7QIVByGtBh3CWAUlEAAYASAAEgIfYvD_BwE We enjoy practicing our alter-ego chef-iness, learning about new recipes and food types and relishing the experience of doing things together. The rest of our food is purchased from three separate sources: Trader Joes -- a small market with a deli counter that mostly promotes in-store products; the Red Barn -- a Mexican market that has an excellent butcher shop (consumes about 1/6th of the store); and Westridge Market a groceteria that has an excellent deli counter -- sushi, grab-and-go sandwiches, wood-fired pizza, and "home-cooked" meal items. When COVID didn't interfere with our preferences we frequented our favorite Sushi restaurant Kibo Sushi -- https://www.yelp.com/biz/kibo-sushi-ventura our favorite Thai restaurant Om Thai -- https://www.omthaicuisine.com/ our favorite Vietnamese restaurant Basil and Mint Pho Cafe -- http://phobasilmint.com/ our favorite Cuban restaurant Versailles Cuban -- https://versaillescubanfood.com/ our favorite Mexican restaurant Don Lalo's Mexican Food -- https://m.facebook.com/pages/Lalos/111678355535572 our favorite seafood restaurant Brophy Bros. Seafood -- https://www.brophybrosventura.com/ and for Burgers and fries (when we are slumming it -- which happens quite often) the Habit Burger Grill -- https://www.habitburger.com.
So you see, we like variety -- lots and lots of variety -- we wouldn't get that if we ordered everything on line; we wouldn't get that if we frequented only one grocery store or market; we wouldn't get that if we limited our choices.

Last edited:
^^^^you pay for the bank branches through service fees, atm charges, etc. You "love to hear", so here goes... now this is only a personal experience, not a trend setter and probably not a public commonality (I don't like to make broad sweeping statements that are not supported by data). For three meals per week (no particular set days) my wife and I order from a food packaging service (based in Chicago) where the meal ingredients come with specific high quality recipes prepared by named chefs -- the food service is called "Home Chef" -- https://www.homechef.com/the-best?u...MImuPztcb-7QIVByGtBh3CWAUlEAAYASAAEgIfYvD_BwE
I've also never used an atm or been charged a service fee haha. I know my mortgage makes them some big bucks though!

Oh cool. I've heard of that one but never used. My wife and I enjoy chefs plate and hellofresh the most for boxes! They're great (just a bit on the pricier side still)

Valveman , no one advocated for a huge, restaurant-like deli space, but the City Market on the Brewery District (my go-to grocery shop, btw) has a fairly sized deli space and so does the Safeway on Oliver Square. Both are smaller stores, by North American standards (Safeway is roughly the same size as other stores, but still not as big), dedicate a decent amount of space to deli and sit-in consumption (and a Starbuck, as basically every Safeway) and are always busy and, I would assume, profitable.
I would simply point out that both of those stores (City Market - Brewery and Safeway - Oliver Sq) are MUCH larger stores than the City Market - Ice District which is, as noted before, not that much larger than the small Sobeys that existed at Jasper and 104. Both have good deli areas but that doesn't mean you need to allow for "eat in" capability.

Not to belabor it any more but that is my point. When the store in question is already quite compact, I'd rather have maximum SF used for a purpose not already provided in Ice District and area (grocery) and not for a purpose already well filled in the area (sit-down restaurant).

The thing for me is that I like to buy more then I could carry home in one trip when I buy groceries, so it will still be easier for me to go to the Save-On on 109 then make multiple trips across the street. If I just need a few things sure, but other then that I don't see it as an advantage unless I want to go there every second or at the most third day.

I believe that going to the grocery store doesn't need to be this whole "let's load our minivan full of bulk food for the next week" sort-of scenario we often see or experience. In cities where people live a more active lifestyle (walking or talking public/active transit where they need to go, etc.) like in a lot of European cities, I'd imagine that stopping by the grocery or market on the way home from work and just getting what you need for the next day or two is perfectly fine. It's integrated as a daily/every-other-day task. Not everybody has to do this but I know that for some people it'd work awesome with their kinda lifestyle!

I'd actually love to hear, who has never bought groceries online?

I'm part of your generation living in one of the densest parts of Canada, and none of my friends here use online groceries, even in a pandemic. We all walk, or drive for bigger shops. My friends back in Edmonton all drive to get groceries, and I don't know of any who use grocery delivery.

I'm in my 30's living downtown, tried online shopping with Save-On-Food's once, and will likely never do it again. I enjoy the walk around the grocery store and occasionally stumbling into something enticing to try; I can't get the same experience looking at images.

Also know no one personally that does online grocery delivery. Although, I do see the Save-On-Foods delivery van at my old building often.

Late 20s here and only purchased groceries online (from Superstore) once back in March when the pandemic first started. Didn't mind the experience but I much prefer shopping myself at local grocers such as the Little Italy Italian Centre, Lucky 97 and other Chinatown grocery stores. I like being able to pick my own produce and choose my own alternatives when a certain item isn't available.

I've also tried the 'meal kit' boxes (HelloFresh and Goodfood) through free trials and enjoy the convenience, but the regular price and considerable packaging makes them more expensive and less environmentally-friendly then shopping at the grocery store.

I've also never used an atm or been charged a service fee haha. I know my mortgage makes them some big bucks though!

Oh cool. I've heard of that one but never used. My wife and I enjoy chefs plate and hellofresh the most for boxes! They're great (just a bit on the pricier side still)
Wife and I have started using Chef Plate as well. What I like is the proportions. We have no waste. Because my wife tends to eat less than me I most always have enough for a lunch. We do hit the local bakeries and H&W for fresh fruit though. I am using the large grocery stores less often. Having the city Market will be nice, I can walk over at lunch when I need something. By the way using Chef Plate You still need to prep and cook. We are noticing we are saving a few hundred a month on food costs.

Wife and I have started using Chef Plate as well. What I like is the proportions. We have no waste. Because my wife tends to eat less than me I most always have enough for a lunch. We do hit the local bakeries and H&W for fresh fruit though. I am using the large grocery stores less often. Having the city Market will be nice, I can walk over at lunch when I need something. By the way using Chef Plate You still need to prep and cook. We are noticing we are saving a few hundred a month on food costs. What I was finding I had recipe fatigue and was getting bored this has helped a bit. .

Late 20s here and only purchased groceries online (from Superstore) once back in March when the pandemic first started. Didn't mind the experience but I much prefer shopping myself at local grocers such as the Little Italy Italian Centre, Lucky 97 and other Chinatown grocery stores. I like being able to pick my own produce and choose my own alternatives when a certain item isn't available.

I've also tried the 'meal kit' boxes (HelloFresh and Goodfood) through free trials and enjoy the convenience, but the regular price and considerable packaging makes them more expensive and less environmentally-friendly then shopping at the grocery store.
I haven't purchased groceries online or tried meal kits. I also prefer shopping myself, you get to see everything in front of you. I am not too far away from the local grocery store, which is fairly steady busy, but not too packed if you can pick the better times to go at.

I suppose for someone who has health concerns and/or mobility issues, these might be good alternatives. I am also concerned about the packaging and I don't think they are cheaper alternatives. Yes, they are convenient, but it is also nice for me to get out once and while, so I really don't mind a trip to the grocery store for a change of scenery.

Back