Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@Hqcan I don't see "a recent uptick in projects that have stalled out". For Edmonton there have always been projects that never get built whether by reason of the developer simply wanting to increase the value of their land (but not build -- common through the last... well, as long as I can remember), running into financial trouble (think the Edmontonians project), or failing to meet sales expectations (the Condo King's efforts). When projects come from developers familiar with the Edmonton Market they move ahead. There have always been those who crow that Edmonton is overbuilt. I heard those voices when Edmonton had a population of 150,000 (yes, I am that old and I do remember that far back) and now that metro Edmonton is approaching a population 10 times that number I still hear the same voices. Through the projects that I am working on (on behalf of clients and in relation to my own project efforts) I have studied this market very closely. There are projects coming that will cause some of those who have abandoned their projects to think twice. Of any that have been abandoned the only ONE that I care about is the hotel/condo project on the east side of 104th street and I fail to believe it is dead -- I think it only needs a local development partner.

Interesting. The draft and all the other stuff they were hyping is looking more and more distant. Then again, I presume they know that.

It can't be helping sales in Stantec though.

Honestly, just happy that the plaza will FINALLY be enclosed in it's own space, even if that is without a tower for a while ?

The residential market is hot right now -- it just hasn't sunk in on all quarters yet.

Which residential market is this? lol

The amount of commercial projects we are working on has definitely stayed steady / slightly improved, but residential city wide is definitely in a lull (probably not a terrible thing urban sprawl wise) but does make our office a little slow.

@Das Ponto I was referring to downtown. The suburbs are definitely in a slow down and may never see the kind of energy of past decades ever again! Housing choices are shifting to condo and townhouse in more urban settings. BTW are you still celebrating your honeymoon -- we haven't heard from you in quite some time which suggests you may have found a new hobby? ?

@Das Ponto I was referring to downtown. The suburbs are definitely in a slow down and may never see the kind of energy of past decades ever again! Housing choices are shifting to condo and townhouse in more urban settings. BTW are you still celebrating your honeymoon -- we haven't heard from you in quite some time which suggests you may have found a new hobby? ?

It has been some time for sure! We were indeed gone for a month, got a number of photos from the safari, Zanzibar and Europe to edit! Got some amazing stuff from the safari, contemplating doing an Africa coffee table book with it. We got back about a month ago now so just really getting back into the groove of things - bunch of commercial projects have pushed forward in my absence so thats good news... just need some dry weather so we can actually get them built.

Back