East Junction | 86m | 25s | Regency Developments | DER + Associates

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I highly doubt Regency will be allowed to build anything in this city anymore.
There are plenty of sub-par developers in Edmonton and other cities for that matter. We are only talking about this one since it is so prominent.

I mean, look at this bizarre looking thing. At least Regency can put the windows in a line down the building. Much of their development since the Pearl has been marginal at best from a design perspective, yet they continue building. I know a few people that live in their buildings and most have nothing to really complain about from a living point of view.

There are plenty of sub-par developers in Edmonton and other cities for that matter. We are only talking about this one since it is so prominent.

I mean, look at this bizarre looking thing. At least Regency can put the windows in a line down the building. Much of their development since the Pearl has been marginal at best from a design perspective, yet they continue building. I know a few people that live in their buildings and most have nothing to really complain about from a living point of view.

I see so many of these kinds of architecturally questionable houses on realtor listings, and they clearly have trouble selling them as they stay for up months on end (this one has been up for half a year unsurprisingly). I wonder how many of these developers blame this on Edmonton's real estate market, and refuse to see that even if architecture isn't the most important thing to most people, very few people want to live in a home that looks that ugly/cheap on the outside. If this is what they think is presentable to the public, imagine the shortcuts and questionable choices they've made in places you can't see.

100%. It’s a complete betrayal of public trust, especially for residents of Holyrood/Bonnie Doon/Idylwylde. They did a lot of public consultation and paraded around a lot of niceties to get zoning approved just to build this abhorrent garbage that wasn’t even close to their proposed renderings.

Would have loved to hear @daveography’s thought’s on this one.

My ears were apparently burning for a reason.

I never expected much from this building architecturally speaking, especially after seeing how 121 West turned out. Even with that in mind, though, I'm actually still shocked at how comically tiny those windows are.

the-simpsons-glasses.gif

But while Holyrood Development Committee did harp on the importance of good architecture and design, our focus was always on the later as there are limits to how much you can legislate the former. And despite Regency's attempts to undo much of what we fought for, the original DC2 still stands. (For the record, I left the community league and HDC in April, in large part due to burn-out thanks to Regency's BS.)

The midrise sections of this building don't look nearly as bad, though, which is way more important than how the tower looks.

20220801_154151.jpg
20220801_152435.jpg

On balance, I'm actually still OK with what we're getting. But that said, I hope Regency sells the development as I'm super done with them.

I think we should do some kind of award for the completed developments of the year. Make a vote for different categories and have one for worse/ugliest.
And call the media, at least try to media shame them. It would also be interesting for the good developments, showing recognition for the ones that are doing a good job.

IMG_3942.jpeg
IMG_3943.jpeg

^ That angle really highlights the similar "design" choices/materiality between this and 121 West, but even that has more windows:

1661900232351.png

To be honest, it's not even the lack of windows that is that upsetting, there's plenty of architecturally sound buildings that lack in windows, especially in older European centres where windows had a lot of downsides before modern heating and insulation methods. However, the lack of windows needs to be compensated for in the design in some way, which wasn't done here, like at all.

My ears were apparently burning for a reason.

I never expected much from this building architecturally speaking, especially after seeing how 121 West turned out. Even with that in mind, though, I'm actually still shocked at how comically tiny those windows are.

View attachment 423981

But while Holyrood Development Committee did harp on the importance of good architecture and design, our focus was always on the later as there are limits to how much you can legislate the former. And despite Regency's attempts to undo much of what we fought for, the original DC2 still stands. (For the record, I left the community league and HDC in April, in large part due to burn-out thanks to Regency's BS.)

The midrise sections of this building don't look nearly as bad, though, which is way more important than how the tower looks.

View attachment 423982View attachment 423983

On balance, I'm actually still OK with what we're getting. But that said, I hope Regency sells the development as I'm super done with them.
Thanks for the reply. You nailed it with that simpsons gif 😂

^ That angle really highlights the similar "design" choices/materiality between this and 121 West, but even that has more windows:

View attachment 423999

To be honest, it's not even the lack of windows that is that upsetting, there's plenty of architecturally sound buildings that lack in windows, especially in older European centres where windows had a lot of downsides before modern heating and insulation methods. However, the lack of windows needs to be compensated for in the design in some way, which wasn't done here, like at all.
Exactly! Windows are one component - you can have a nice design that offsets smaller windows and no just a few different colours of paint randomly applied does not cut it. That is like putting lipstick on a pig.

I also think the colour pallet is too busy...white, light gray, dark gray, light blue, dark blue, orange... like, where's the green?

(Goes up to the mic at Skyrise comedy club)

“Anyone seen that Holyrood development? Yeah. Yeah you’ve all seen it! Regency keeps boasting about giving back to the community but with a bomb shelter like that lacking so many windows it makes me wonder if they got into the telecom game and made their Central office nuke proof!”

I'll have to take another look later today, but I'm fairly certain the orange tarps were left on.

Back