Holyrood 2020 Apartments | 16m | 4s | Bilt | FarMor Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Couple of rezonings in my area (Holyrood and Strathearn) up at Council on Dec. 10 (circled in blue):

1543618760287.png

the Holyrood one looks like this (preliminary):

1543618415905.png

12 units (two are ground-oriented), reduced vehicle parking (it's within TOD), plenty of bike parking. Roof looks flat in the render, but it will actually be pitched.

The Strathearn one will be much the same, just a bit wider, 17 units, three of which are ground-oriented.

Developer is Urbis, designed by Rick Arndt (formerly of Arndt Tkalcic Bengert).

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2118&doctype=agenda (Items 3.11, 3.12, 3.13)

Holyrood Development Committee is pretty pleased with the scale and reduced parking. We've made suggestions about doing more to address the corner with the design (which might not make it into the zoning text, but there's time to finalize the design), but it's pretty reasonable TOD infill for a neighbourhood like ours.

I think the Holyrood proposal looks pretty good right now, and depending on materials could be really good.
Strong massing for that corner on 2 lots.
Holyrood sure has its share of infill.

Last edited:
I would love to see lots more of this type of infill within (400 meters encompassing the LRT neighborhoods) on this scale, very quaint for a four storey.
These types of projects might spur others, such as Strathern (what ever happened with that TOD?)

From my recollection, @Kaizen, the developer made specific demands on the City for financial input on parks and other infrastructure and the City said "no" and the developer said no deal then, picked up his marbles and went home.

@archited Not sure we're at the marbles stage yet, but it has definitely left the development in limbo. So much has changed since the Strathearn rezoning was approved that it is probably not economically viable anymore. Last I heard, they are deciding whether to attempt another rezoning, or to sell.

Couple of rezonings in my area (Holyrood and Strathearn) up at Council on Dec. 10 (circled in blue):

View attachment 165559
the Holyrood one looks like this (preliminary):

View attachment 165558

12 units (two are ground-oriented), reduced vehicle parking (it's within TOD), plenty of bike parking. Roof looks flat in the render, but it will actually be pitched.

The Strathearn one will be much the same, just a bit wider, 17 units, three of which are ground-oriented.

Developer is Urbis, designed by Rick Arndt (formerly of Arndt Tkalcic Bengert).

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=2118&doctype=agenda (Items 3.11, 3.12, 3.13)

Holyrood passed unanimously with an amendment around public amenity contribution.

Listening in on Strathearn, more opposition to that one.

Holyrood passed unanimously with an amendment around public amenity contribution.

Listening in on Strathearn, more opposition to that one.

Missed the end of the discussion and vote, but I imagine this passed unanimously or close to it.

Randomly stumbled on this; looks like Urbis hired FarMor for the detailed design.

Too bad the entire site is up for sale now :(

19-028-Holyrood-Apartments_1-Photo.jpg
19-028-Holyrood-Apartments_2-Photo.jpg
19-028-Holyrood-Apartments_3-Photo.jpg
19-028-Holyrood-Apartments_5-Photo.jpg

(Sorry the images are so small, that's all they had on the site)

I guess this may be going ahead after all?

Reference ID: Job No 359675222-002
Description: Construction of (a) new building(s)
Plan 5070HW Blk 14 Lot 1
Applicant: FARMOR ARCHITECTURE
Create Date: 4/9/2020 4:59:43 PM
Neighbourhood: HOLYROOD

For Sale sign was removed from the site.

Description: To construct a 12 Dwelling Apartment Housing development.
Permit date: July 15, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 8302 - 95 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: HOLYROOD
Zoning: DC2

Back