What do you think of this proposal?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Does this mean this project is not happening anymore?

1669847368348.png

FOR SALE OR LEASE - This unique 25,000 SF Freestanding Building is along 124 Street and closely connected to Jasper Avenue. It is a great opportunity for an owner/user or future development.
The site is placed in an area with a wide mix of businesses, residential properties, and community events.

Does this mean this project is not happening anymore?

View attachment 442158
Yes, at least Cidex's proposed tower there isn't going ahead anymore, but they didn't ever purchase the site to begin with...

That is consistent with what we have been hearing about CIDEX and this site over the last many months, but I worry about CIDEX's overall investment outlook on Edmonton... for I have heard they were not very happy with the Mayor et al. recently.
Not happy with the mayor over what?

I can think of a few reasons to be unhappy with the mayor and/or the Edmonton downtown development market in general:

1. General state of downtown (crime, cleanliness, vagrancy)
1A. Related to 1, deterring potential residential and commercial tenants away from their previously most recent completed project the Hat 5 corners
2. Valley line LRT construction 2 year delay also not helping the Hat 5 corners
3. The mayor's general lack of business acumen, relationship with the business community, willingness to have business/commercial development as a high priority agenda item (This is my guess most likely and most directly related to the mayor as I have heard this sentiment from many frustrated in the Edmonton business community. No one has ever accused the mayor of being an astute businessman.)

Last edited:
I was not privy to that conversation, but have heard this from a variety of developers about City Hall in general.

Captain BL is likely close, with the need for Edmonton to be more business friendly, more attractive for investors and more regularly addressing foundational issues that are impediments to future projects/commitments/decisions.

I was not privy to that conversation, but have heard this from a variety of developers about City Hall in general.

Captain BL is likely close, with the need for Edmonton to be more business friendly, more attractive for investors and more regularly addressing foundational issues that are impediments to future projects/commitments/decisions.
So to Cidex, getting millions through the 2021 Edmonton Economic Incentive Construction Grant was not enough eh? Businesses gonna gripe and complain all they can in order to get as much from the City as possible I guess. An anti-business City Council would not have approved that grant in the first place, either. Silly.

I am sure that the development community is quite thankful for that program, but this goes well beyond that as hinted to above.

Somehow it all gets blamed on the current mayor, who has inherited things like the Valley Line LRT mess and social problems which say far more about what the province is doing, or maybe more accurately not doing.

If you look at Calgary news, many of the same issues related to the "general state" of downtown come up. So maybe a big part of the problem is at another level of government.

There is a part of the business community here that seems to never stop complaining about the city, and then they wonder why they don't have a good relationship with the city. Maybe having a good relationship is a two way street and more effort needs to be made on their side too.

Back