• I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
This building whose name and history I can't seem to find much information on (@_Citizen_Dane_ ?) is getting a bit of a renewal too:

Reference ID: Job No 357613757-002
Description: Addition to Existing Building, Exterior Alteration, Interior Alteration, Change of Use, Demolition
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lots 115-117
Applicant: HODGSON SCHILF EVANS ARCHITECTS
Create Date: 3/13/2020 12:32:41 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

1584460863667.png

I think it was built in 1920 with one expansion added in 1936. I don't believe it has any heritage designation or protection. I do know this was Five Oaks / Dub Architects' building for a while, then AT|b Architecture until they were snapped up by Stantec. It was most recently sold in November 2019. I wonder who the new owner is?

This building whose name and history I can't seem to find much information on (@_Citizen_Dane_ ?) is getting a bit of a renewal too:

Reference ID: Job No 357613757-002
Description: Addition to Existing Building, Exterior Alteration, Interior Alteration, Change of Use, Demolition
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lots 115-117
Applicant: HODGSON SCHILF EVANS ARCHITECTS
Create Date: 3/13/2020 12:32:41 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

View attachment 236805

I think it was built in 1920 with one expansion added in 1936. I don't believe it has any heritage designation or protection. I do know this was Five Oaks / Dub Architects' building for a while, then AT|b Architecture until they were snapped up by Stantec. It was most recently sold in November 2019. I wonder who the new owner is?

Yeah, it was the showroom for the International Harvester Tractor Co. The taller 1913 Dorchester building across the parking lot was the company's warehouse and the small coat of arms above the doorway's theirs. According to an older draft of the City's Inventory of Historic Resources it was designed by architect William Blakey — of Garneau Theatre fame — and was constructed in 1926 by the C.C. Baston Company.

Whenever I see "Exterior Alteration," my heart rate does go up a couple paces. It might not be the most striking building from the era for sure, but certainly nice enough with some great materials, display windows and its connection to I.H. I'd hate to see it modified beyond recognition. But, then again Hodgson, Schilf, Evans do good work with heritage buildings, so I'm not too concerned,

Last edited:
Yeah, it was the showroom for the International Harvester Tractor Co. The taller 1913 Dorchester building across the parking lot was the company's warehouse and the small coat of arms above the doorway's theirs. According to an older draft of the City's Inventory of Historic Resources it was designed by architect William Blakey — of Garneau Theatre fame — and was constructed in 1926 by the C.C. Baston Company.

Whenever I see "Exterior Alteration," my heart rate does go up a couple paces. It might not be the most striking building from the era for sure, but certainly nice enough with some great materials, display windows and its connection to I.H. I'd hate to see it modified beyond recognition. But, then again Hodgson, Schilf, Evans do good work with heritage buildings, so I'm not too concerned,
Well, if it helps it's us Beljan folks that bought this building. More to come on this...

Presumably this EDC presentation was for this project?

B.3. Harvest (Development Permit)
Ian Evans - Hodgson Schilf Evans Architects

Motion of Support with Conditions
The Committee appreciates the adaptive reuse of this building, and in particular, the
integration of the exposed brick of the existing building into the new structure /
common area.
The Committee recommends working with Administration to improve the aesthetics
of the north facade, including the potential introduction of relief and / or texture,
windows, additional elements and / or materiality (eg. wood slats), and art.

CARRIED

^Or, if only we could have investors/developers put up projects like this down Capital Blvd where the streetscape is already pedestrian-friendly.

Seriously, one block off.. beautiful streetscape... completely dead.....

Lol sorry back to the main topic. I like it a lot, it's a great use of the current space. Also really like how the added building complements the existing one.

This is a very good concept design. I agree with the comments about the issue of the sidewalk being narrow. I am sure whether the 2 smaller buildings can be pushed back? It's not likely there will be support to reduce a lane of traffic - 109 is an important artery.

Back