Grandin Tower 2 | 113.99m | 36s | Westrich Pacific | Chris Dikeakos

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Proposed Oliver rezoning for residential development
May 22, 2019

Edmontonians are invited to a drop-in engagement session to learn more about a proposed rezoning on the northwest corner of 100 Avenue NW and 112 Street NW for a new apartment tower.

Date: Tuesday, May 28
Time: 6 - 8 p.m.

The proposed rezoning from Direct Development Control Provision (DC1) to Site Specific Development Control Provision (DC2) would allow for the development of a 28 storey apartment tower on a mixed use podium. To facilitate this rezoning, an application has been made to amend the Oliver Area Redevelopment Plan.

Feedback will be summarized in a report to City Council for a decision at a future Public Hearing.

For more information:
https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/neighbourhoods/oliver-planning-applications.aspx

89524201082020014620475-1.png

This one got a bit of a boost:
88m -> 114m
28s -> 36s
210 units -> 310 units

Also looks like they acquired one more property to the north, which actually reduces the density slightly from 12.9 FAR to 12.0.

Goes to Council on January 21:
(Items 3.16 & 3.17)

89524401082020014628961-14 copy.png89524401082020014628961-15.png89524401082020014628961-16 copy.png89524401082020014628961-17 copy.png89524401082020014628961-18 copy.png89524401082020014628961-19 copy.png89524201082020014620475-1.png

Last edited:

Good quotes; sounds like the debate/discussion on this one was solid:

“I’m just getting really sort of concerned about the number of towers we’re wedging into Oliver. And I’m using that term ‘wedging in,’ I mean, we’re giving up-zonings on each one of those it seems like and we’re putting them on fairly small plots of land.”

“We’ve got to look at some of the amenities in Oliver,” he told Global News. “And whether or not then, given the amount of people living in Oliver — and we’ll be pushing well past 20,000 — it’s below average on park space for example. - Scott McKeen

“The removal of the overlay for the airport opened this up and everybody was extremely happy that Edmonton now would grow up and wouldn’t be squat.” - Tony Caterina

“This is the downtown. You’ve asked for density,” Councillor Mike Nickel countered. “You’ve asked for LRT. You’ve asked for bike lanes. We even shut down an airport so we could have taller towers.”

“I think the original ARP didn’t see this road having quite this role or this level of intensity for a variety of historical reasons,” Mayor Don Iveson said.
“Just as we did in the North Edge, ultimately with Columbia Avenue and other areas where we don’t have CRLs, is say: If we’re going to put all of these people here, council needs to commit to put some infrastructure in to support that.”

“In a perfect world, you’d put that larger question on 100 Avenue on hold because I don’t think necessarily saying that a building like this shouldn’t go there is the right answer,” said Councillor Ben Henderson.
“The problem is not with this building; it’s with how it all fits together in a larger plan.”

Perhaps our formerly 'pro-density' mayor has made up his mind about running again for the next election and is keeping up appearances.

And to McKeen: who's "wedging" anything in? Oliver is one of the densest neighbourhoods in Alberta, and it's got plenty of room for more. Give me a break.

If there are infrastructure concerns regarding continued densification in Oliver, the city could be proactive and build more infrastructure to complement these new developments as they happen.

I am happy that this tower got approved, and am looking forward to more building approvals throughout the entire city center area (as long as no important historical resources have to make way for them). Two things on the comments against the tower:

1: If it's true that there is not enough infrastructure in the area to support these new residents, then you... kinda just have to fix that problem by adding more or making changes, at least if you want to maintain the integrity of not only that specific area but the city as a whole as the population grows. The population of Edmonton won't stop growing, which leads me into my next point...
2: The new City Plan outlines that of the next 1 Million residents, around 800,000 of them are going to be living in already established areas of the city, and most of that number will be concentrated in the core area. The truth of the matter is that we need to keep increasing the budget of dense units to create a sink for this new population, and besides Downtown, Oliver is one of the main places where high-rise development will be concentrated. Knowing this, being "concerned" about how many towers are being "wedged" into this area is so contradictory to what the city's own plan is trying to achieve.

btw, my brain likes the symmetry in the council vote panel, haha!

Concerns over increased congestion on 100 Avenue are silly (Jasper Avenue is one block away).
Concerns over increased congestion at Grandin Station are silly (it's one of the least-utilized transit stations in the ETS network).
Concerns over densification in Oliver are silly (golly, look at all those apartment towers on the skyline).

Last edited:
@.crystalised. To be fair, Council can't really use the new City Plan until it's been finalized and ratified in a Public Hearing. They're still beholden to the current planning framework and the Oliver ARP, no matter how old and out of date they are.

@.crystalised. To be fair, Council can't really use the new City Plan until it's been finalized and ratified in a Public Hearing. They're still beholden to the current planning framework and the Oliver ARP, no matter how old and out of date they are.
Thanks, I misunderstood and thought the City Plan was already live. I've edited my post accordingly.

Seems fast

Reference ID: Job No 353537386-002
Description: Construction of (a) new building(s), Demolition
Plan NB Blk 12 Lots 69-70
11214 - 100 AVENUE NW
11206 - 100 AVENUE NW
Applicant: CHRIS DIKEAKOS ARCHITECT AAA
Create Date: 1/29/2020 5:29:11 PM
Neighbourhood: OLIVER

Back