Fox Towers | 107.28m | 33s | Langham Developments | KENNEDY

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
This isn't a Public House (derivative of Pub); this is a Public Town! Puts me in mind of the Public House in the Venetian in Vegas.

@Daveography -- I am in total agreement with your sentiments. The Vegas version that I sat in on for one beer left me cold. While it had many different bar areas and lounge seating arrangements, it had no unifying sense of place -- it felt like a "food court" in a mall. The only advantage that size offered was the ability to stock an enormous range of craft beers and wines. On another note I am taking our Group's concept release for Alberta Avenue to the news media next week -- watch for it!

Proposed downtown Edmonton mega-bars have community upset
Downtown residents are not toasting the idea of two new mega-bars in their community because they're worried the proposed locations will lead to a lot more trouble late at night.

The Downtown Community League was recently given notice of two proposed bars – one on 104 Street just north of 102 Avenue in the new Fox Tower 2 that would be large enough to accommodate nearly 600 seats. The other bar could potentially hold 1,400 people in the former Mothers Market location.

Full Story (Metro Edmonton)

'Mega-bar' proposals opposed by downtown residents
A plan to build two large nightclubs downtown is being opposed by the Downtown Edmonton Community League for being too large for the area.

One bar, 691 sq. metres or 7,439 sq. feet in size and a maximum occupancy of 596 people, is proposed for the ground floor of the Fox 2 condominium, now under construction at the corner of 104th Street and 102nd Avenue.

The same developer is planning another nightclub with a seating capacity of 1,400 on the former site of Mother's Music at 109th Street and 103 Avenue.

Chris Buyze, president of the Downtown Edmonton Community League (DECL), said the projects are too large for a residential neighbourhood.

In particular, the proposed bar in the Fox 2 condo is out of step with other businesses on 104th Street.

"It's literally three to four times what exists on the street right now," Buyze said Sunday. "And people should be concerned about whether that's compatible with all the other uses on the street."

Full Story (CBC Edmonton)

It takes a lot to get my vote to register on the anti-development side -- these two proposals, however, do accomplish that! The Fox concept allows about 12.5 sq.ft. per person -- suggests to me no amenities -- just pack 'em in and fill 'em up -- c-r-a-z-y! Our company is big in hospitality design in L.A. -- this would never get approved here. Imagine the brawls that are going to happen at or near closing time.

July 11 - still flying

Owner of Knoxville's, The Pint, behind 2 proposed downtown 'mega-bars'
The proponent for two new "mega-bars" proposed for downtown Edmonton is the company that owns Knoxville's Tavern and The Pint.

Mark Fitton and his company Urban Sparq want to open two bars. One, with a maximum occupancy of 596 people, is proposed for the ground floor of the Fox 2 condominium building, under construction on the corner of 104th Street and 102nd Avenue.

Full Story (CBC Edmonton)

Paula Simons: Big box bars a big, bad fit for Edmonton's historic Warehouse District
How big is too big for a bar?

If a pub with 100 seats or 250 seats is OK, what about a nightclub with room for 600?

Or a drinking hall with room for 1,400?

The City of Edmonton planning office is weighing the fate of two controversial development permits for Edmonton’s historic Warehouse District.

The first application is to open a “neighbourhood pub” with room for 596 people, on the ground floor of the new Fox 2 condo tower currently going up on 104 Street. It certainly wouldn’t be the first bar on the hipster promenade, already home to the Mercer Tavern, Kelly’s Pub, the Cavern Wine Bar and several licensed restaurants. But it would be by far the biggest bar on the cosy street — and hardly a “pub” in any traditional sense.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Last edited:
I dunno I think of wurst down in Calgary and its amazing. If it was anything like that I would say go for it!

Bar proponent responds to pressure, proposes less 'mega' megabar
The Edmonton company behind a controversial bar being proposed on 104 Street now says it won’t exceed 400 seats.

Urban Sparq Hospitality, the company that currently owns and operates the Pint, Knoxville’s Tavern and Denizen Hall, along with several other local restaurants and bars across North America, is proposing the new bar for the Fox Tower 2 — at 104 Street and 102 Avenue.

Brendan Crooks, a manager with the company, said Urban Sparq never intended a 600-seat establishment as was advertised by a development notice that went out to community groups and neighbours last week.

“It was a bit misrepresented, the 600 number," he said. "After design we are going to only get 400 seats in there. It’s not a dissimilar size to a lot of existing pubs downtown.”

Oversized downtown Edmonton pub scaled back by applicant
The company pitching an oversized pub for 104 Street downtown has scaled back its request to the city.

Urban Sparq now says a neighbourhood pub in the bottom of the Fox 2 condo tower would hold a maximum 400 people if approved, down from the 596 people in their original development permit application.

The original application sparked backlash from nearby residents, who worried mega bars would destroy the walkable, mixed character of 104 Street. Most venues there now are small shops and pubs holding up to 245 people.

Zoning rules for the street say any pubs built for more than 100 people are at the discretion of city planners.

Urban Sparq spokesman Brendan Crooks said the change submitted Tuesday is just a clarification, that the pub was never intended to hold the 596 people the building code would allow.

“We’re trying for 400,” he said. “There will never be 600 people in there.”

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

Makes more sense. I think the whole thing was a bait-and-switch. As I noted previously it would have been impossible to get the larger occupancy count into the stated square footage, but by saying 596 as a conversation opener and then scaling back to 400, the owner intentionally diffuses the dispute over size and gets what he wants. Even at the new number it is going to be a crowded facility when fully occupied. My guess is that in the end it will "seat" something closer to 300.

Residents say seat reduction for 104 Street 'mega-bar' not enough
Lowering the number of seats in a proposed mega-bar on 104 Street has not apparently lowered public opposition.

The new bar is proposed for 104 Street and 102 Avenue, in the base of the Fox Tower 2.

The company proposing the bar, Urban Sparq, currently operate the Pint, Denizen Hall and Knoxville's tavern, and clarified on Tuesday the proposed bar would not be the 600 seats that had been suggested in their development permit application, but instead no more than 400 seats.

But Terry Hodgkinson, who lives just a block away from the proposed location, said if the bar goes ahead there will be more intoxicated people on the street, more vandalism and petty crime.

Secret Alley Gallery turns Edmonton dead space into art space
You’d be forgiven for not noticing the slight gap between the new Fox condo tower on 104 Street and its parkade.

But, if for some reason you ducked through it, you’d find a mini-alleyway that opens up to about four feet wide and extends the full length of the building.

Less optimistic people might call it dead space, but to Steph Chai and Chris vander Hoek, it’s an opportunity.

The duo are currently seeking submissions for their Secret Alley Gallery, a one-day pop-up art show happening Aug. 27.

Back