Falcon Towers | 170m | 44s | Langham Developments | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
PXL_20210820_192715506.jpg
PXL_20210820_192654685.MP.jpg

Seems like a lot of towers are starting at the same time. I guess there's been quite a gap since anything new starting, so developers are betting that by the time these new projects are complete, the current vacancies will have filled up and there will be demand?

1) Extend the Streetcar Line. The line currently starts in Strathcona and ends in Grandin.
A) I'd extend it all the way to the Convention center. Residents and convention goers could take a Streetcar all the way to Whyte Avenue and back Have dinner there. Walk. Shop. Go on a ghost tour. Go to the Princess Theater. I'd also add another Streetcar line that would go to the Legislature and/or to the Historic RossDale Plant. Make a museum there. Make a museum on the main floor of Gibson Block.
The ERRS definitely wants to expand further, but there's a lot of red tape and slow moving pieces involved. For example, the newest extension from Old Strathcona to Whyte Ave, just a few hundred meters in length, took around 10 years to complete from the start of engaging with the city to the completion of construction. And that was on the railway right-of-way that was still in place. I can't say any more about it (I just started there last week and don't wanna say anything I shouldn't), but I don't think this will be news to anyone anyways.

Now, there are ways that you can help them out. If you have any interest in these streetcars at all, they'd love to have you volunteer for them. There are a *ton* of ways to help; from selling tickets, conducting, working in the archives and museum, and other rider-focused work, to restoring streetcars behind the scenes. I dabble in both areas, and it's a blast. I have no mechanical experience, and the volunteers have been excellent instructors and mentors. The time commitment isn't bad at all either; you just help out as you can. If they get more volunteers, then the executives will have more time to focus on the bigger picture stuff.

If you can't help out right now, then spread the word about them. Lots of Edmontonions haven't heard of us, let alone people from the region and abroad. Drop by the museum when it's open, ride the High Level streetcars, follow us on social media, tell others about this fantastic group and the two lines we run, and just keep engaging with us. The more people hear about the ERRS, the more riders and volunteers we'll get, and the more support and desire for expansion that we'll gain.

EDIT: Also, they always accept donations. I think they can apply for grants, but most of what they do is funded by donations and membership fees. I bought my own PPE, the buffing pads I use were bought by another member, etc. And we have 16-18 streetcars awaiting restoration. So between restoration and day-to-day expenses and maintenance, the costs add up.

Last edited:
The ERRS definitely wants to expand further, but there's a lot of red tape and slow moving pieces involved. For example, the newest extension from Old Strathcona to Whyte Ave, just a few hundred meters in length, took around 10 years to complete from the start of engaging with the city to the completion of construction. And that was on the railway right-of-way that was still in place. I can't say any more about it (I just started there last week and don't wanna say anything I shouldn't), but I don't think this will be news to anyone anyways.

Now, there are ways that you can help them out. If you have any interest in these streetcars at all, they'd love to have you volunteer for them. There are a *ton* of ways to help; from selling tickets, conducting, working in the archives and museum, and other rider-focused work, to restoring streetcars behind the scenes. I dabble in both areas, and it's a blast. I have no mechanical experience, and the volunteers have been excellent instructors and mentors. The time commitment isn't bad at all either; you just help out as you can. If they get more volunteers, then the executives will have more time to focus on the bigger picture stuff.

If you can't help out right now, then spread the word about them. Lots of Edmontonions haven't heard of us, let alone people from the region and abroad. Drop by the museum when it's open, ride the High Level streetcars, follow us on social media, tell others about this fantastic group and the two lines we run, and just keep engaging with us. The more people hear about the ERRS, the more riders and volunteers we'll get, and the more support and desire for expansion that we'll gain.

EDIT: Also, they always accept donations. I think they can apply for grants, but most of what they do is funded by donations and membership fees. I bought my own PPE, the buffing pads I use were bought by another member, etc. And we have 16-18 streetcars awaiting restoration. So between restoration and day-to-day expenses and maintenance, the costs add up.
I did. . Although it was very limited due to health issues. I was a member of ERRS in 2018. They're a great bunch over there.. Very warm and welcoming folk. Their fleet of Streetcars are impressive. Took years of volunteer time to restore some of them. CIty would have to contribute dollars and manpower to keep up with an uptick of maitenance costs if expansion from Grandin to Downtown were ever to happen. You have made a great choice volunteering for them. They're definitely worthwhile and deserving.

Nice to see Graham on the job. Haven't seen them doing much that isn't infrastructure around here in EDM lately.

Back