Encore Tower | 138m | 43s | Westrich Pacific | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Description: To construct Interior Alteration - Tenant improvement for purpose of office space.
Permit date: January 22, 2021
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Office Buildings (520)
Address: 10309 - 102 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
Zoning: HA
Value: $100,000.00

We love businesses moving downtown from the suburbs, even if it's into a tower they themselves built but still!!

Edmonton needs to fill the gap that is City Centre West...it really fragments the downtown skyline.
Or turn it into urban parks and green roofs! Playgrounds on big raised surfaces (mall) could be great to keep seperated from everyday busy activity of streets!

Wuhan-North-Pavilion-5design-1-600x480.jpgnamba-parks-japan-jerde-partnership-2.jpg950bc6c918a0970baf5476a8ba90cc8e.jpgrooftop-playgrounds-original-175.jpgc78b7204334159d7f8341e0172b0480f.jpgRooftop-playground-idea.jpg

Right!

I am continuously astonished about the lack of use of our rooftops.

Patios, gardens, sundecks, social gatherings, events, bbq, playspaces etc.

In a former role, we designed and built this rooftop play space in Slave Lake for the daycare due to space constraints and so that the kids could see the lake/planes taking off next door and they love it.

pr_f__DSF1064.jpg

Right. I was thinking that if a podium is used in the winter, the snow would need to be cleared anyways so you wouldn't have both snow load and the load of people. But structurally you can't make that assumption I suppose. Especially if it ends up being stored somewhere on the podium itself.

Exactly -- snow loads are code-mandated calculations that vary somewhat by location and are based on worst case scenarios -- 100- or 500-year events. They have almost nothing to do with year-to-year weather happenings. While we are on the subject, I have had these urges to go up on the roof of a tall building armed with a snow shovel and snow-bomb people on the street below on a clear-sky day and then hide from view; another person below with a "candid camera" to record the event; and a third person with a mic interviewing the subjects with the comment "you have no doubt heard of sun showers; do you believe in sun-snow flurries?"

Exactly -- snow loads are code-mandated calculations that vary somewhat by location and are based on worst case scenarios -- 100- or 500-year events. They have almost nothing to do with year-to-year weather happenings. While we are on the subject, I have had these urges to go up on the roof of a tall building armed with a snow shovel and snow-bomb people on the street below on a clear-sky day and then hide from view; another person below with a "candid camera" to record the event; and a third person with a mic interviewing the subjects with the comment "you have no doubt heard of sun showers; do you believe in sun-snow flurries?"
Imagine have a few people do that in a couple of buildings for a few minutes, with all of the pedestrians believing it was actual snowfall 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hmmmmm....;)

Reference ID: Job No 384475632-002
Description: To reduce the number of dwelling units from 17 to 10 dwellings and to convert a portion of the space as General Retail Stores on the 3rd floor of an existing mixed use building, and construct interior alterations. (Encore Tower)
Condo Common Area (Plan 2021702)
Applicant: EFG ARCHITECTS INC
Create Date: 1/22/2021 11:08:24 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Back