Edmonton Tower | 129.84m | 27s | ICE District Prop.

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
74EA3820-56D2-463D-A186-2B0D6A98580B.jpeg

Lots of work happening in the old Cacao70 space

Not a very difficult projection... as with the Staples Center in Los Angeles the ICE District -- now every few days -- attracts thousands of people (beyond whatever you might think of the downtown office demand) and so the demand for space grows, making downtown development a self-fulfilling prophecy. The greater the demand for entertainment and hospitality the more retail is attracted; the more entertainment, hospitality and retail grow, the greater the demand for core housing escalates. The prediction was made back in 2016 but just as it was beginning to be fulfilled, COVID-19 stepped into the frame -- now we are moving past that. I believe that over the next 2 years there will be a plethora of new core developments announced.

'I believe that over the next 2 years there will be a plethora of new core developments announced.'

How? the fundamentals are simply not there... or are we missing something completely that your magic 8 ball is showing?

Not a very difficult projection... as with the Staples Center in Los Angeles the ICE District -- now every few days -- attracts thousands of people (beyond whatever you might think of the downtown office demand) and so the demand for space grows, making downtown development a self-fulfilling prophecy. The greater the demand for entertainment and hospitality the more retail is attracted; the more entertainment, hospitality and retail grow, the greater the demand for core housing escalates. The prediction was made back in 2016 but just as it was beginning to be fulfilled, COVID-19 stepped into the frame -- now we are moving past that. I believe that over the next 2 years there will be a plethora of new core developments announced.
I am sure it is a great help to restaurants, bars and other places to get more business in the evening/weekends and not just rely on the lunch or after work crowd and of course it brings more out of town visitors downtown too.

While the office crowd is not fully back yet, we have this to help out now. When I go out during the day, it seems busier downtown with a number of other events also again happening, as well as what is at Rogers in the evenings and weekends to help balance things out.

I feel we are now past the worst of it and over the last few months I have noticed a few new things opening too, so perception will eventually catch up with reality. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more activity in a few years.

'I believe that over the next 2 years there will be a plethora of new core developments announced.'

How? the fundamentals are simply not there... or are we missing something completely that your magic 8 ball is showing?
In all fairness, I think that now we'll finally see the ICE District be the catalyst it was intended to be. It now has the plaza fully open and with a reasonable amount of places to attract people, which we didn't have before and during COVID. Between this (which now allows for more regular programming, year-round), concerts coming back in full force after the pandemic, the Oilers' games and the fact that it is increasingly getting more options for food and retail, it does feel like it's finally gaining momentum.
And if the ICE district gains enough momentum, the tendency is a spillover effect on the rest of the core, especially if you consider what is already currently underway (Valley Line, Warehouse District Park, the Parks, Falcons and Stationlands). I think the biggest missing piece of the puzzle to take full advantage of this is working on safety (or, to be more specific, the perception of safety).

We haven't seen the spillover effects or expected benefits south along 103 and 104 streets, so why would we see much, if any, up a set of stairs and tucked away in this location? Again a very odd choice, but I suppose very long-term outlook/thinking.

We haven't seen the spillover effects or expected benefits south along 103 and 104 streets, so why would we see much, if any, up a set of stairs and tucked away in this location? Again a very odd choice, but I suppose very long-term outlook/thinking.
Consider the fact that Pre-COVID, we didn't have the plaza fully built out, then we had COVID, and only now we're having the office crowd back to activate the area. These effects will take some time to show up, as I'm sure you understand... I'd give it a few years, starting now, for it to start showing in a substantial manner.

Back