Edmonton Motors Lands Redevelopment | 170.07m | 56s | Pangman

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I personally don't mind the towers myself, and I really like what they did with the indented part on the one tower above the podium, but I do feel like it could be better. Maybe if there could be some more offset "boxes" with outlines and maybe have the balconies protruding less, it would be better.

I mean, I would be fine if this gets built as it is, but there will probably be some changes

Via C2E:

Text:
DATE CREATED: NOVEMBER 9, 2018 | OLIVER
NOTICE OF PROPOSED LAND USE CHANGES

ILE LDA18-0579

An application has been made to rezone 10033 & 10039 - 115 Street NW; and 11427, 11445 & 11445A Jasper Avenue NW.

The current zoning is (DC1) Direct Development Control Provision and (RA9) High Rise Apartment Zone.

The proposed zoning is for (DC2) Site Specific Development Control Provision to allow for the development of two separate mixed use high rise buildings with the following characteristics:

• A 170 metre tower (approx. 56 storeys) on a 30 metre podium (approx. 10 storeys) fronting onto Jasper Avenue;
• A 140 metre tower (approx. 46 storeys) on a 30 metre podium (approx. 10 storeys) fronting onto 115 Street;
• Commercial uses at grade fronting Jasper Avenue NW;
• Row Housing at grade fronting onto 115 Street NW;
• Up to 825 Dwellings; and
• Underground parking.

In addition, an associated application has been made to amend the Oliver Area Redevelopment Plan to facilitate the above rezoning.

This is a bit confusing, I can't tell if they mean the tallest building is a 170m, 56-story tower or a 200m, 66-story tower.

@Daveography, crunching numbers and translating English into English it looks like they really are proposing 66 and 56 storey towers. The floor to floor for apartments kind of justifies that rationale. In either case the renderings are way off. Did you get a response from Planning?

Last edited:
Kirkor is certainly capable of much better, and, since the renderings are so far off the proposed potential build-out, I agree @Toddbrummet that there will at least be a round two of design effort. I guess the first round was just a door-opener. BTW welcome to Skyrise E-edition!

Excellent Tec-work @Daveography -- it still means that renderings are not accurate and there is still hope for better solutions. Something that puzzles me is the separate-ness of the two buildings in the only renderings that we have to go by. Is this a case of maximizing land value for a sale -- two projects moving separately? Or is this just a City lane issue? Maybe the renderings are placeholders until some site issues are better resolved. When I mix all of this with the misperceptions promulgated by the Wolfe, I wonder...

High res renders extracted from the Urban Design Brief. These are for the original heights, not the updated ones.
LDA18-0579_Urban_Design_Brief-6351.png

LDA18-0579_Urban_Design_Brief-6237.pngLDA18-0579_Urban_Design_Brief-6313.pngLDA18-0579_Urban_Design_Brief-6351.png

Current draft DC2 details:
  • Total FAR 13
  • 825 units
  • 140m and 170m
  • 800m2 tower floorplates
  • 5% family-oriented units

https://www.edmonton.ca/residential...outheast-corner-jasper-avenue-115-street.aspx

Back