Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Disagree. This square needs sight-lines, open views and ability to bring temporary elements in and out.
Disagree. Going from how many trees are currently planted to how many trees would be required to block seeing across the entire plaza (if that's what you mean by sight-lines?) is a significant amount, and the count of trees could be greatly increased while still having the plaza feel open. As for needing temporary features, I cant think of any event where the presence of trees would take away from the feel of the event.

Normally I would agree, but feel they found a nice balance with this thus far and once it really operates for major events, celebrations, movie night etc., we will see that it functions much, much better as is.

IMG_2320.jpg
IMG_2322 (1).jpg
IMG_2323 (1).jpg
2022-03-17_8-23-17.png
IMG_2319.jpg

Last edited:
So the Rexall is gone permanently it seems...

Starbucks was planning on opening a Reserve store in EF-109B but the pandemic put that on "ice" unfortunately.
Not a surprise, these days "temporary" closure is sometimes a euphemism for permanent, especially if the temporary is more than a few months. This one was way, way over a year. I wish companies would be better in their communication, but I suspect after they put the temporary closure sign on the door, they never come back. This can be a bit frustrating and confusing to customers or visitors, so hopefully the signage will be updated soon now that a decision has been made.

On a brighter note, perhaps this frees up a space to potentially fit the original entertainment theme for the area. Also, it isn't a big loss, there are already three Shoppers Drug Marts nearby.

As for Starbucks, they seem to have almost given up on downtown, but a large multinational US chain doesn't exactly scream Ice District anyways, so no great loss imho. It would be nice to get something at least more distinctly Canadian there instead.

Lots of trees - yeah!! . I am puzzled if the tower is only go to have 2 elevators in the shared lobby - meaning people going to second floor retail/hospitality share the elevator with CWB employees? or will they have a direct elevator through the CWB bank - I imagine not as there are different hours of work withe street front bank and head office.

I'll bet that this will come out of the ice, especially with the new CEO and his very expansionist corporate perspective for the company.
CEO of what? Starbucks or Recall ... and if Starbucks are you saying CEO is reversing course on closures in inner/core areas of cities?

Back