Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Good for TD; bad for Ice District.
Agreed. I was hoping for the Ice District Originals shop to go forward there. We really need a proper and visible team store in the district. My dream was to have the shop there which would be the kickoff point for arena visitor tours. Maybe they have another place they can/will put a team store.

Will there be any banks that are NOT in the ICE District?
HSBC won't be there, for sure. On that note, my banker told me they're also looking for a new place in Chinatown to consolidate the many small spaces they have at the Pacific Rim Mall.
That will be hard to find - there is not a single building to accommodate in the area. Maybe this might light a fire under the developer for the proposal to build several towers in Chinatown. There is a link somewhere here on Skyrise.

There is such a herd mentality with Canadian banks. One does something and the rest tend to copy or follow. So, I suppose it is not surprising most are going to Ice District., just like they all flocked to Unity Square.

It really doesn't make sense to me that TD would put something there and then renovate a branch just a few blocks away, but just blindly following others doesn't necessarily make sense to begin with as a good business strategy.

I suppose it is an approach that is risk adverse and not very imaginative, which is probably why bank management likes it. Hopefully some of the remaining spaces will be filled with businesses more in line with the original entertainment concept.

HSBC won't be there, for sure. On that note, my banker told me they're also looking for a new place in Chinatown to consolidate the many small spaces they have at the Pacific Rim Mall.
I'd love them to build a new branch in Chinatown, as there are a few vacant spots along 97th still that could use some infill development. Either that, or Yorkton finally moves ahead with redeveloping Pacific Rim Mall.

Yorkton-Towers.jpg

Good for TD; bad for Ice District
Right. A lot of ATMs but nowhere to spend the money. I guess they had felt that Canadian Brewhouse is entertaining enough for the masses. Should have been more selective with choice of tenant if they really wanted to be a true entertainment district. Missed opportunity and reeks of desperation to just fill it without looking at the long term. Disney Springs it ain't .

How many places do people want for entertainment that everyone is so worried about banks going in? Off the top of my head in that area already there is Kindred, Baijiu, Alchemy, Braven, Joeys, Canadian Ice House, Boston Pizza, Deluxe Burger Bar, Banquet, Home and Away Bar, Marriott Lobby Bar and all the other bars/restaurants on 103 and 104 St. If an absence of entertainment is your concern, dare I suggest you are just not looking hard enough?

Last edited:
How many places do people want for entertainment that everyone is so worried about banks going in? Off the top of my head in that area already there is Kindred, Baijiu, Alchemy, Braven, Joeys, Canadian Ice House, Boston Pizza, Deluxe Burger Bar, Banquet, Home and Away Bar, Marriott Lobby Bar and all the other bars/restaurants on 103 and 104 St. If an absence of entertainment is your concern, dare I suggest you are just not looking hard enough?
You are aware that there's more to entertainment than bars, right?
Movie theaters, bowling alleys, comedy clubs, night clubs... A RecRoom wouldn't hurt...

Movie theaters, bowling alleys, comedy clubs, night clubs... A RecRoom wouldn't hurt...
I'm conflicted about the movie theatre. One the hand it would have been nice to get a modern theater downtown, but I'm pretty sure it would have spelled doom for landmark cinemas 9.

I am indeed aware, so I’ll piggyback on what I already said. There is already a movie theatre a block away, there is concerts/comedians and other endless entertainment streaming through Rogers Place, the plaza is going to have an ice rink in winter and other live entertainment in warmer months, The Canadian Ice House is going to have a batting cage on the rooftop patio, Banquet is going to have bowling lanes and other games and Home and Away bar is going to have a bunch of games. I think those are some pretty robust options and have no doubt entertainment will continue to expand around the district once it is finally up and running and animated with people.

Last edited:

Back