Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Also wrt Dialog - I thought Shugarman out of Cowtown provided design guidance for Stantec and JR Marriott projects and Dialog possibly construction documents and had the construction admin role. I stand to be corrected.
Shugarman overstates their role in all of this. Dialog has a firm grasp on this project (unfortunately) and so it is what it is. Shugarman's role has long since expired and never was as significant as they purported it to be.
This is going to highlight Edmonton's post COVID surge and while current "players" are a bit cautious there is a boom a'comin'!

I don't see a problem with 2 different banks in the same building. Most people stick with their bank their whole lives. And if 2 different eateries can exist in the same building, why not 2 banks?
I feel like doing your personal banking at a physical bank location will get a lot less popular in the coming decade. It's much more convenient to do most things online. My main bank doesn't even have physical branches.

So does this mean in addition to moving their staff over from their location on Jasper/103rd, they are also leaving their space in J22 on Jasper/122nd?

Does this show how rough the market is right now? That we're only building 16 story office buildings in the core of our downtown amongst 25-66floor towers? I wouldn't mind this elsewhere, but these feels sort of lame. I think 25flrs minimum is needed to "fit" this area. 16 will be one of our shortest modern office towers, right next to the tallest tower in western canada.

I'm sure this is motivated by the market/money, but it makes me nervous. I would have rather seen a 16flr tower in phase 2 as part of the "step down" to the northern neighbourhoods. Mixed feelings overall.
I have very mixed feelings about it. First, the building does look ok and perhaps having a shorter building does provide a better transition to the area to the west with smaller buildings.

Second, yes it does show how rough the office market is right now. You might have heard about this pesky thing called COVID for the last couple years a lot of people working from home, we're not sure how many will or want to come back to the office and Edmonton never was Toronto anyways. For Edmonton, 16 storeys is a good size for a bank tower these days. How tall is BMO's downtown Edmonton tower? or RBC's? Well, neither of them have a downtown main branch in a tower any more and Scotia moved theirs to ICE District, so I have a feeling that tower that no longer contains its namesake branch may change its name in the future.

Third, I am becoming more concerned that ICE District might become of the Unity Square of downtown - chock full of banks facing each other in the retail space that would have been better used for, I don't know, retail and restaurants, more interesting things than downsized bank branches. It also may not be good news for Jasper Ave, if one of the few remaining banks there moves to ICE District to hang out with the rest of the banks. They do tend to move in a herd, don't they?

However, I do have some sympathy for the developers, they didn't anticipate COVID, the grand movie theatre bailed on them and condos in the ICE District sure are not moving quickly. So, perhaps the only ones looking for space there now are banks.

45685f08-1832-492e-a53b-29e08a21b00c-jpeg.380987

Source: https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/...142m-42s-one-properties-dialog.24170/page-109

What is the minimum number of residential units needed to make adding a pedway feasible?

Original plans had an open walkway from 104st through to 103st as a sort of active alleyway.

Curious to see what they do with that lot on 104st and how it might or might integrate with the Horne and Pitfield building/proposal.

I don’t think the Bank is moving out of the J22 building. This move is for the Head Office and the branch on 103rd street. The most important thing about all of this is that this will ensure the HO is here long term. Calgary and Vancouver have been circling for decades trying to get the Bank to move. The ever increasing CWB executive’s living in Cal, Van and TO was a threat to eventually moving the HO. As much as it pains me to say, there remains a massive problem of not being able to recruit high end executives to E-town. I know ATB has the same problem. Think NHL free agents not wanting to sign in Edmonton but on a corporate scale.

The cost of the pedway has to be recouped and the development has to make a profit. A developer would never build a pedway to nowhere unless it was intended to be labeled as Art.
Is building pedways cheap?

Back