Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Construction costs are not that much higher there.

I don't have the most recent numbers, but Edmonton was quite expensive from a cost of construction standpoint, mostly due to higher labour costs and material transportation.

The_Cat

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder about the practicality of having a condo downtown. The LRT runs to limited areas of Edmonton, even with the Valley Line opening this summer. If you have good transit, there’s less of a need for a vehicle.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a car, but essentially lived without one for over 10 yrs. Better, more regular, more consistent transit is key, but you can do without it now.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Reference ID:Job No 435035925-002
Description:To install (2) Fascia On-Premises Sign(s) (EDMONTON ICE DISTRICT)
Plan 1722545 Blk 2 Lot 7
10324 - 103 STREET NW
Plan 1722545 Blk 2 Lot 10
Applicant:FIVE STAR PERMITS
Create Date:5/28/2022 11:54:26 AM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder about the practicality of having a condo downtown. The LRT runs to limited areas of Edmonton, even with the Valley Line opening this summer. If you have good transit, there’s less of a need for a vehicle.
I suppose it depends on where you are going, but our transit system already connects to three malls (two of them fairly big and popular) and another one soon, the university and two major hospitals (and another one soon).

There are a number of fairly new condos and condos being built within a block or two of existing downtown LRT, so that's convenient too.

If you need to travel often to far out suburban areas, it may not work, but if the trips are occasional it probably could.

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think one of DT Edmonton’s biggest problems is the absence of any decent streetscaping to make it pedestrian enticing. With the exception of a couple of pockets (104St and Rice Howard Way) half the trees look dead, it has inadequate and ugly lighting, there are no nice places to sit, the sidewalks are narrow/ugly/crumbling and there are very few places/businesses to sit outside to be engaged with the street. I think it is going to take a serious chunk of cash to remedy this problem, so I think it’s going to be a long time before we see anything remotely close to Calgary or Vancouvers downtowns. Sorry but I think anyone who thinks our downtown competes with Calgary’s or Vancouver’s is exhibiting hometown pride and grasping at straws, which is fair.
Maybe Calgary has improved in the last few years, but I distinctly remember a friend who went there with me several years ago and who walked downtown there a lot remarked about not many trees there and them being very small and scraggly.

With our climate (and maybe Calgary's too), April and May are really not the best months for greenery. I find it looks better as the summer goes on. Some (but I will agree not all) of the trees that look dead are just late in getting started.

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think a polished look necessarily makes a "good" downtown. Have you been to Montreal? To me, that's more what we should aspire to. Lots of old/grunge/brutalist/graffiti/street art mixed with good contemporary architecture. Vancouver feels pretty sanitized and lifeless in comparison. Edmonton has the older bones to achieve that urban look, but we need to smarten up and start building more streetwall and, yes, I agree that we need to do more sidewalk cleaning.
Yes! I must say the grungiest city I have ever visited was San Fransisco, yet it is a such tourist magnet - go figure. Montreal is a bit like that, but not as quite as grungy. It has a eclectic variety of buildings from different era's that seems very charming.

Vancouver is quite polished, but somehow seems a bit soulless. Yes, it is a postcard beautiful place, but people there don't seem very happy, maybe it is the rain and the gloom or the high rent/housing costs squeezing people.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is one of those 'is that really Edmonton' shots given what this same shot looked like 5-10 yrs ago.
DSC01326.JPG

edmo14

Member Bio
Reaction score
Construction costs are not that much higher there.

I don't have the most recent numbers, but Edmonton was quite expensive from a cost of construction standpoint, mostly due to higher labour costs and material transportation.
Cost of construction in Edmonton is quite surprising, with our winters the amount of heating and hoarding required increases costs significantly. Even items such as heated concrete add up, on top of higher base material and labor costs like you mentioned.

Airboy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Cost of construction in Edmonton is quite surprising, with our winters the amount of heating and hoarding required increases costs significantly. Even items such as heated concrete add up, on top of higher base material and labor costs like you mentioned.
The actual constructions cost are going up, delays for lack of product are also pushing costs.
the consulting side however is going down. Can't believe how low the design costs are getting.

Mattyeg

Member Bio
Reaction score
article from october says a safety film was being installed. I’m assuming they have judged it to be safe(ish) enough if a couple thousand people were allowed to hang out under it the last couple weeks.