Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
RHW has plans (I've seen them) to mirror (VE ish) what Pangman did for the rest of it, but EPCOR needs to do a bunch of UG work.

Stevey_G

Member Bio
Reaction score
Edmonton's downtown actually isn't as bad as people seem to make it out to be. Crime is a problem, rampant winter city homelessness is also a problem. These are the major issues that need to be addressed.

However, lots of restaurants, lots of mom and pop shops, lots of park space, and a tremendous amount of festivals make it to me, a far better downtown to visit than Brentwood, Surrey, Metrotown, and in some ways even Vancouver.

I use these as my own immediate examples, all of which are denser communities with higher land values and better heritage preservation/lands planning standards - yet lack that charm I see when I come back for a visit.

ChazYEG

Member Bio
Reaction score
Edmonton's downtown actually isn't as bad as people seem to make it out to be. Crime is a problem, rampant winter city homelessness is also a problem. These are the major issues that need to be addressed.

However, lots of restaurants, lots of mom and pop shops, lots of park space, and a tremendous amount of festivals make it to me, a far better downtown to visit than Brentwood, Surrey, Metrotown, and in some ways even Vancouver.

I use these as my own immediate examples, all of which are denser communities with higher land values and better heritage preservation/lands planning standards - yet lack that charm I see when I come back for a visit.
Agreed 100%.

And if we're talking about lack of character, I'll be the first to point out that Calgary's downtown, which a lot of people here love to praise and compare to ours, is much more sterile and generic (albeit cleaner and better kept), than ours.

Edmonton's downtown needs some TLC, for sure. We also need to attract more residents to realize it's full potential, and out of the big cities I've been, in North America, few have so much potential, for one reason or the other.

I believe ICE District is going to be just the beginning of a long, but dramatic change in the city's core, over the next few decades. It'll be interesting to see what we'll look like in 20, 30 years.

Airboy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have no problems with Downtown either other than the government induced houseless situation. And the city really needs a downtown sidewalk flushing machine. The sidewalks need to be hosed off or at least power washed every so often.

westcoastjos

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
New development isn't always a good thing. Much of the charm is in mom and pop/local shops. Those get displaced as newer development comes in and those places can't afford rent. Look at 104 Street and some of the vacancy that still exists in developments like Fox. Hopefully the CRUs are smaller in Falcon akin to the Icons. Sometimes new development causes the feeling of sterilization if Landlords can't figure out how to work out deals with small time entrepreneurs. The landscape in downtowns is going to have to shift, because the M-F 9-5 schedule is never coming back - that is what I look forward to seeing in 20-30 years. How do we adapt to that reality and how does it impact downtowns across the board.

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed 100%.

And if we're talking about lack of character, I'll be the first to point out that Calgary's downtown, which a lot of people here love to praise and compare to ours, is much more sterile and generic (albeit cleaner and better kept), than ours.

Edmonton's downtown needs some TLC, for sure. We also need to attract more residents to realize it's full potential, and out of the big cities I've been, in North America, few have so much potential, for one reason or the other.

I believe ICE District is going to be just the beginning of a long, but dramatic change in the city's core, over the next few decades. It'll be interesting to see what we'll look like in 20, 30 years.
For the most part I would agree with the comparison with Calgary. However, I really like Stephen Avenue, although I haven't been there for a while, I gather it is not as good as it once was.

I understand Calgary is working hard to get more people to live downtown (something Edmonton has been working at for much a longer time) and that will probably eventually help make it more vibrant.

I feel a big part of the sterile and generic feeling comes from (with the exception of Stephen Avenue and a few other places), most of the older buildings were torn down in previous boom rushes to build office towers.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Walked around Stephen yesterday afternoon and it was bumpin'. I'd give up Drai for even half of that in our core with. Calgary always impresses with how 'big city' it feels at times.

thommyjo

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m a big DT booster. But idk how Calgary and Vancouver aren’t seen as better DTs. You can choose our best street and compare to one of their worst. But a random sample of 20 street blocks in all 3 cities would have Edmonton DT looking the worst almost every time. A lot of that is just density, maturity. We’ll get there slowly.

We have great pockets in our core. I can give my friends a good 5 stops DT that impress. But just randomly walking around without knowing where to go and Edmonton doesn’t shine too bright. Whereas Vancouver you have gorgeous vegetation, cool shops, and sweet buildings on most streets DT at this point. Hence the Broadway plan and other cores building up in north van, Burnaby, Richmond.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
The biggest issue for Edmonton is the lack of complete streets/blocks and how disjointed things become when you have massive dirt/dusty/forgotten lots on many of our blocks.

We also need to double our Downtown population to get some critical mass.