• Total voters

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
FTaVNZ0UcAEyyYL

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
We do have a very bad habit of tearing town decent older buildings with character, instead of building on nearby empty lots.

Then we wonder why people come here and remark the city doesn't have much character.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nope, never had comments from locals or visitors about all of the parking lots and/or did you not have older buildings here?

Nope, never.

Vijay19

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^^^ I haven't met one person in the U.S. who has travelled to the Big E who thinks that Edmonton is a City lacking Character. I think that complaint mostly comes from hometowners.
I have had friends from Boston and San Diego visit and remark how bad our downtown is. I agree. Aside from 104 st there is not one other nice, engaging, street you want to spend time on. Here is hoping Ice District keeps prompting investment to change that 🤞

Last edited:

David A

Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh yes, 104 Street - the one with a number of nice older warehouse buildings (combined smartly with newer buildings built on the empty lots across the street).

Another gem of Edmonton is Whyte Ave, which has quite a number of older buildings also, to which both locals and visitors flock to despite the limited parking.

Despite the tear down everything urge seemingly deeply embedded in the city's consciousness, it actually works to keep older character buildings.