Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Is this good or bad? Like the event seems good. Us being compared to Lloyd and PG is tough though. Is there a reason Calgary isn’t involved or a smaller town than Edmonton? Haha

Event is April, so probably trying to keep it north for cold weather?
It's because Calgarians HATE hockey, only reason really.

And I wonder if they are going to move their branch at least into the podium later this year because that should be finished. Would be nice to have that space occupied.

From what I understood, the project would be done in later 2025, but that they wouldn't be moving in until 2026. Unfortunate that it is that long considering, as you noted, how much us already done.
I'll ask around about the branch on Jasper/103st.

I have it on good authority that the branch/office on Jasper/123st is not going anywhere and that this building is an expansion, not consolidation.

I don't think that's happening now that CWB is moving into that building. Why would they allow competition such as TD?

1646197547105.png

Is there a reason as to why they couldn’t stick say 10 stories of residential above the office portion? Yes still smaller than the original tower, but this seams like a waste of a podium that can support a 40 story tower.

Is there a reason as to why they couldn’t stick say 10 stories of residential above the office portion? Yes still smaller than the original tower, but this seams like a waste of a podium that can support a 40 story tower.
There are a few.
One is the difficulty of accommodating the two separate entries, when they'll already have to redesign quite a few things just to have a corporate lobby.
Another is that CWB probably doesn't want to spend the money.
And there's some perceived value, especially in banking and finance, in having a building that is exclusively yours, especially for a head office (which I think is complete BS, as long as you're naming it).

I agree with you, that they could've made it taller, 5~10 extra floors wouldn't have hurt, and may have allowed for more imaginative design, too.

Hope you're right on the estimated height. Still think HSBC Bank building will tower over this one. They could round the corners a little to add some excitement to the project.
HSBC Building is likely taller than the the tower portion, but you add the podium (which is what, maybe 18~20m?) it'll likely be a little taller than HSBC.

Also, as pointed out, CWB is a regional bank who's building up (they'll also be expanding their office space in Vancouver to accommodate expansion happening there) and this building will have 250,00 sqft of office space which is a massive undertaking for them.
For comparison, the HSBC Canada HQ, in Vancouver, has 350,000 sqft of office space and, as pointed out, they're one of the largest banking conglomerates in the world.

All in all, as much as I am a little disappointed with the height of the building, from an aesthetic perspective, I am really happy to see a homegrown bank take such a big leap and, more than that, make such a commitment to Edmonton, in a time where we seem to have so few big companies bet on keeping their head offices here.

I thought that's where that sports jersey store was going? Where/when is that store supposed to happen?
The zamboni garage is there as well. Uncertain if the store is still going in still or moved to another location.

Back