Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score

PERMIT_DATE June 03, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 11303 - 105 AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD QUEEN MARY PARK
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct SHORING AND EXCAVATION ONLY for the construction of an Apartment House building (86 Dwellings) with an underground parkade.
BUILDING_TYPE Engineering (490)
WORK_TYPE (04) Excavation
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 467,000
ZONING DC1

@Daveography I totally agree. I am actually happy that there are more of these projects in the area, but they need more street level retail!

I didn't mean retail neccessarily, but even active residential (townhouse) frontages.

Also, not sure I agree @archited, I think there's still lots of space for small-scale retail endevours when given smaller-scale retail spaces that are cheaper and allow entrepreneurs to reduce costs and risks. What's really dying is the large-scale retailers like department stores.

@Daveography totally agree. I do think that designers are going to have to get more creative on how they structure their street front retail, though, as simply having the stores front onto a city sidewalk is pretty tired nowadays :rolleyes:.

Also, not sure I agree @archited, I think there's still lots of space for small-scale retail endevours when given smaller-scale retail spaces that are cheaper and allow entrepreneurs to reduce costs and risks. What's really dying is the large-scale retailers like department stores.
Not so, @Daveography, all Retail is biting the bullet these days. I have been studying this for 20+ years (since the advent of the internet). Out of this srudy has come a response that we will be releasing soon that hopes to "right the ship" to some degree. Two forces are at play that create an untenable situation -- the cost of space is rising (both from a lease perspective and from a build-out $ need) while the trend in customer count has been going through the floor. I can provide you with all kinds of scholarly articles on the subject if you are interested. Here's one eye-opening fact -- 30% of all malls in the U.S. will be closing this year.

Going to a mall is no longer as attractive as walking down a Main Street.
Depends on the time of the year in Edmonton.

There is a reason places like Brookfield and now Hudson Yards are tough sells though. Street retail is easier to attract folks to in well walked areas, unless you have a critical mass like west ed does.

PERMIT_DATE July 09, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 11303 - 105 AVENUE NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD QUEEN MARY PARK
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct HOARDING FENCE on public property around a construction site. ( Permit Expires September 30, 2019)
BUILDING_TYPE Hoarding (910)
WORK_TYPE (03) Exterior Alterations
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 10,000
ZONING DC1

Back