CO*LAB | ?m | 1s | QAS | RPK Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There is also a large rabbit in the back; it looks like it may be going elsewhere.

1616883350443.png

1616883468215.jpeg

The City should pick up the rent in this case if the determination is that this project represents a brief flicker in the candle of hope for the Quarters. If this dies it is another step backwards in the huge outlay (by the City) for investments in improvements for the area. This is not a black-and-white determination.

The City should pick up the rent in this case if the determination is that this project represents a brief flicker in the candle of hope for the Quarters. If this dies it is another step backwards in the huge outlay (by the City) for investments in improvements for the area. This is not a black-and-white determination.
The City (ie Admin) could recommend that to Council, as they couldn’t waive rent without their approval, but I’m unsure whether all of Council would approve of that.

I know it’s a drop in the bucket budget-wise and would support renting space for cheap or free to non-profits, but only to those that have demonstrated competent financial management.

lol it’s not a surprise when you haven’t paid rent in months
What's the backstory on that? I came across CO*LAB by fluke when I was biking to my doctor's one day and checked them out and was really into what they do. I donated a few months back and inquired about any volunteer opportunities (they said they are in the process of updating their volunteer portal)

I don't know what the whole story is here but they've received a ton of City support, including the renovation of the building itself. But also doesn't make sense to leave it empty. Not sure what the solution is here. Bit of a chicken and egg situation going on as well with the Quarters.

Sadly, this happens quite often with organizations who get in over their head with ongoing costs, a business plan that has a lot of assumptions and often without the financial and governance experience needed for longer term success.

Sadly, this happens quite often with organizations who get in over their head with ongoing costs, a business plan that has a lot of assumptions and often without the financial and governance experience needed for longer term success.
That is, more or less, exactly what happened here.

And yet the City can spend literally millions on a road to nowhere with zero positive results -- 96th Street. And they are to this day quietly buying up residential lots on 103rd Ave. between 95th street and 96th street and tearing down the houses there, leaving the lots vacant and unimproved (Rossdale 2.0!!!). It seems to me far more advantageous to support a struggling nonprofit with a clear vision in an area that surely needs support.

Back