CNIB Redevelopment | 106m | 32s | ONE Properties | Wallman Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
1629999145135.png

Just love the jig-saw puzzle facade -- see now "the View" that's the way you do it (money for nothin'; get your chicks for free...)
The View has more windows and visual interest plus a less 'overcast grey' colour scheme than this one. I prefer the View to this. If CNIB retained the original design than I'd reverse my rank.

Oh no... not you too @Avenuer -- Design 101: do not create visual discomfort (especially in a box structure) -- the faux columns of the View cause me to shudder. The original design intent was not followed through.

I will never be able to unsee the original renderings presented for CNIB. It will always be the cheap value engineered design it is. You could paint that pattern on any building and get the same effect.

Went back to the "cast my vote" and changed it from like a lot to neither like or dislike. I had voted for the original render and the change from curtain wall to punched windows has worsened the aesthetic appeal of the building in my opinion. No doubt the changes were related to the financial decisions to redesign for the rental market.

Went back to the "cast my vote" and changed it from like a lot to neither like or dislike. I had voted for the original render and the change from curtain wall to punched windows has worsened the aesthetic appeal of the building in my opinion. No doubt the changes were related to the financial decisions to redesign for the rental market.
I don't think this is entirely accurate. The envelope is still window wall - yes the glazing has shrunk, but the assembly has not changed. It is still window wall, not a stud wall & punched windows.

I suspect that a larger reason for the shrinkage in the windows was the new(ish) energy efficiency requirements in the national building code. It's much more difficult to build a glazing-intensive building and meet the requirements of the NECB. I believe these new requirements came into effect in 2019 in Alberta, so this building likely would've been one of the first big projects subject to the new minimum requirements.

I don't think this is entirely accurate. The envelope is still window wall - yes the glazing has shrunk, but the assembly has not changed. It is still window wall, not a stud wall & punched windows.

I suspect that a larger reason for the shrinkage in the windows was the new(ish) energy efficiency requirements in the national building code. It's much more difficult to build a glazing-intensive building and meet the requirements of the NECB. I believe these new requirements came into effect in 2019 in Alberta, so this building likely would've been one of the first big projects subject to the new minimum requirements.
Bingo. It was always a window wall system, but they've increased the insulated panel area.

Back