News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

The coles Downtown has been remarkable busy during the Pandemic. At least every time I passed by it there were quite a few people there. Hell I've bought books that I wanted in hard cover from there.

Anytime I've been to IndigoSpirit, Chapters or Coles, I'm seeing fewer books and more blankets.
The last time I went to Chapters was the one on Whyte Ave and you had to trundle by all the candles, blankets and various other things to get to the books on the second floor.

It would have been ok, if I went there looking for those things and some of it was nice, but I don't know when I go to a bookstore, I go there to look for books. What a thought.

I think they have overdone the other items, but perhaps it works for them.

Coles is closing for good. Pic courtesy of CBC Edmonton.

coles-bookstore-closing.jpg

Good to hear.

Simons?
Lulu?
Sporting Life? - originally to have gone into ICE, but would be the death knell for Sportchek/Atmosphere.
UniQlo?
Best Buy - seems like they are getting out of big box going forward and wanting smaller mall-like locations
Zara would be nice for young professionals

Good to hear.

Simons? this would be great but Nordstroms would be better
Lulu? nice add to the core
Sporting Life? - originally to have gone into ICE, but would be the death knell for Sportchek/Atmosphere. a gain but at the huge cost of Sportchek Atmosphere pulling out
UniQlo? nice add to the core
Best Buy - seems like they are getting out of big box going forward and wanting smaller mall-like locations we would lose the larger format size on 109th - a bigger loss than gain
Zara would be nice for young professionals nice add tp the core assuming mens wear is included
comments above in bold

Good to hear.

Simons?
Lulu?
Sporting Life? - originally to have gone into ICE, but would be the death knell for Sportchek/Atmosphere.
UniQlo?
Best Buy - seems like they are getting out of big box going forward and wanting smaller mall-like locations
Zara would be nice for young professionals

Yes please!

Best Buy moving to the mall would be a fantastic opportunity to redevelop that site into something more appropriate. It's not like there's a shortage of space in the mall for a location of the same size or larger if they wanted. It would also be the only major electronics store in the entire city with a good transit connection.

Best Buy moving to the mall would be a fantastic opportunity to redevelop that site into something more appropriate. It's not like there's a shortage of space in the mall for a location of the same size or larger if they wanted. It would also be the only major electronics store in the entire city with a good transit connection.
The mall does have a lot of space, so it could be a good sized Best Buy - hope it is. Also, this doesn't necessarily have to be a zero sum game - they could keep the 109 St location and add one in the mall. The city is growing and each location has different strengths which could compliment each other nicely.

I would also really like to see a Simons and/or Zara - both are better than Nordstroms and not so overpriced. However I agree Sporting Life would probably take away too much from Sportcheck to be beneficial. It is possible both could hang in there, but I think it is more likely only one would.

The mall does have a lot of space, so it could be a good sized Best Buy - hope it is. Also, this doesn't necessarily have to be a zero sum game - they could keep the 109 St location and add one in the mall. The city is growing and each location has different strengths which could compliment each other nicely.

I would also really like to see a Simons and/or Zara - both are better than Nordstroms and not so overpriced. However I agree Sporting Life would probably take away too much from Sportcheck to be beneficial. It is possible both could hang in there, but I think it is more likely only one would.
The only reason why I believe Nordstrom is likelier to be the one they're talking about is because Zara is already on Kingsway Mall, which is really close (3 LRT stations away, mind you) and Simons might have a limitation due to they already having a store in both Londonderry and WEM (someone mentioned this possibility a while ago).

^^There is no Zara in Kingsway, which is why it comes up. GAP, H&M, Zara and Uniqlo represent the Top 4 fast fashion brands.

I think it is likely we'll have some movement of existing retailers within the mall, as well as one or two from Downtown, and hopefully (fingers crossed) a few new retailers to round out the new renos. This will be helped by the proximity of Lobloaws and ICE district in general.

Back