News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

The prohibitive cost to demolish structures like that means they will remain until they are literally going to collapse. Add in the cost of new structure/retrofitting for anything on the existing mall portion and our limited market for multi-family product in the core means this is higher risk and high cost versus their current plans which mitigates much of that. Certainly not highest and best use, but a palatable middle ground for HQ.
Huh??? Did you see the Tegler Building come down for a smaller structure as its replacement; did you see that replacement come down for a "let's wait and see" replacement? What are you talking about?

^^^^ Not so. A very wise move on their part. Rebuild the mall with a view to potential expansion in the "New Retail Idiom" and then gird that move with a huge development potential on adjacent land that is currently under-utilized. I guess you will have to wait awhile to see what I mean.

I’ll say it again, I’m voting for seniors residences above. The boomer population is retiring at a massive rate. Having residences tied to the mall is a huge amenity for them, gives great customers for tims, pharmacy, grocery, etc. access by transit is great for workers and visiting families.

I know it’s not the young and hip thing, but I think it’s a huge market need this could uniquely meet. Especially with how bad our sidewalk care has been, seniors need large indoor spaces to move and socialize.
I really think this proposition makes a lot of sense IMO.

Hell, even my mom, born at the tail end of the boomer generation, doesn’t mind the idea of downsizing off their half acre lot SFH to potentially a condo. The lack or having to shovel snow, mow grass and other yardwork is sure appealing.

Had lunch in the exciting and wonderful Elevate Food Fare today.

Olly Fresco's has reopened!
Pressd is still closed. Fatburger is still closed.
There's enough space west of the NYF for a couple more fast food eateries. How about a Taco Time or a Taco Bell?

20220509_121403.jpg
20220509_121452.jpg
20220509_121600.jpg

102A Ave is getting dug up where the parkade entrance is between 100 Street and 101 Street. No pictures.

I miss Fatburger, used to go there regularly and to Press'd which I also liked. It is a good sign that Olly Fresco is back.

It is noticeably busier in downtown at lunch time these days, so hopefully more places will reopen or new ones will come in to fill some of the empty spaces.

Sort of surprised Coles is still there - bookstores are not that common any more. I wonder were they or a predecessor an original tenant in Edmonton Centre?

I would like to be optimistic here, but obviously downtown malls were particularly hard hit by the COVID work at home thing, so the last few years were probably not that good for locations like this.

It has also surprised me that Indigo was allowed to acquire/merge with both Coles and Chapters to basically become the only bookstore company in Canada—you’re either buying from them or a small independent. Quite the monopoly…

It has also surprised me that Indigo was allowed to acquire/merge with both Coles and Chapters to basically become the only bookstore company in Canada—you’re either buying from them or a small independent. Quite the monopoly…
It was essentially the only way to keep the industry from collapsing.

Back