News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

ECC has basically become a pedway between buildings, more than a mall. I think you'll see very strong foot traffic, but attracting good retailers may continue to be a challenge.
I go through there regularly on my way to elsewhere. However, few people can shop there because really there isn't that many stores left.

It is sad, you see all those people walking through with almost no where to shop - that could be an opportunity for smart and forward looking retailers.

I know it is in fashion now to conclude downtown retail is dead, but the people are still around and many walking right by the empty store fronts. I don't think eveyone living downtown drives to Unity Square because they love getting in their car for a 5 to 10 minute drive. It is because the stores are not in the downtown core.

^^^^ And don't forget to mail your generous service tip to "General Delivery, Ojai, California" -- make cheques payable to tactful, tireless, talented, tantalizing, tasteful, tenacious, tender, Teddy.

With Olly Fresco's now closed, how soon until Pressd is also permanently closed? They used to make a killing with their catering business.

Reactions: God
According to a sign posted in their stall, Pressd is temporarily closed due to COVID

Reactions: God
I noticed at Save on Foods in Oliver that they had their salad bar open a couple of days ago where people could help themselves.

Hard to stay open when your business relied almost solely on office workers at lunch, that mostly haven't been in the office for nearly two years now.
The newish owners of the mall may want to rethink this food court, three stories up and far from the entrances to the mall. Although, perhaps it will just eventually die by attrition saving them from having to do much.

Bad location, but ongoing COVID sure isn't helping either.

Their ideas for a new food court in the south west corner of the old Bay space closer to the LRT makes much more sense. Its not like there is no space available for it now.

The newish owners of the mall may want to rethink this food court, three stories up and far from the entrances to the mall. Although, perhaps it will just eventually die by attrition saving them from having to do much.

Bad location, but ongoing COVID sure isn't helping either.

Their ideas for a new food court in the south west corner of the old Bay space closer to the LRT makes much more sense. Its not like there is no space available for it now.
No expert in retail, but I think this set up with the food court at the top was popular with commercial landlords until recently (for example, see the Core in Calgary). If I were to guess, I'd say it is designed to require shoppers to walk through the mall, likely increasing the sales per sq ft. I suppose this is were the theory fails though, since there are basically no shops left in ECC for impulse purchases.

Yeah, the limited number of stores remaining is one problem with this theory. If the previous owners put the effort in to attract stores and fill empty spaces that they did to move the food court to a more inconvenient location, maybe things would have probably turned out better. It was sort of rearranging the deck chairs and not dealing with the more serious problems. I long ago concluded they were incompetent.

Despite what trend might be or may have been popular with landlords, it is never a good idea to make accessing things more inconvenient for your customers if you want to be succesful . So, in the end the food court tenants also suffer due to the previous landlords bad ideas.

Back