News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

Physical Banks and actual hard currency in time will be irrelevant and if you're under 30 this will be in your lifetime.
People said the same about offices, especially after the pandemic, and still, what we're seeing, not only from employers, but from employees (ESPECIALLY the younger ones, gens Y and Z) is a desire to go back to those, albeit in a different form than the rigid 9-5, Mon-Fri we've had for the past century or so.

Physical banks serve other purposes than just withdrawing cash from ATMs and they will continue to do so for a very long time.

I didn't get a chance to snap any pics but the TD Bank is indeed being renovated.
It's visible in this picture posted by @retiredfire in the Valley Line thread:
img_1204-jpeg.382623

I walked by there today but dI’d not notice I was to occupied watching all the people doing drugs.
I fear for the valley line shelters when they open.
The Valley Line shelters are quite tiny. I don't think there is enough room in them for the number of passengers using the stops, let alone others loitering. Not sure if this was by design.

The Valley Line shelters are quite tiny. I don't think there is enough room in them for the number of passengers using the stops, let alone others loitering. Not sure if this was by design.
They ride the rails free and just get fingers slapped and dumped off elsewhere to repeat riding the rails IF the peace officer is around and wants to do anything. The honour system of payment just attracts transients and drug dealers.

They ride the rails free and just get fingers slapped and dumped off elsewhere to repeat riding the rails IF the peace officer is around and wants to do anything. The honour system of payment just attracts transients and drug dealers.
I don't usually agree with this kind of affirmative, but in this case, it is a fact.
I honestly believe we should have gated stops/stations throughout the system, and peace officers doing rounds on the VL trams verifying payment (not unlike they do in Rio, for example).

People said the same about offices, especially after the pandemic, and still, what we're seeing, not only from employers, but from employees (ESPECIALLY the younger ones, gens Y and Z) is a desire to go back to those, albeit in a different form than the rigid 9-5, Mon-Fri we've had for the past century or so.

Physical banks serve other purposes than just withdrawing cash from ATMs and they will continue to do so for a very long time.
If you are only doing routine transactions, you can do most of that without going to a branch, but if you have a problem or a non routine transaction it is often faster and easier to deal with in person.

Offices provide a place to easily interact with co workers, without carefully scheduled calls or messages that may not get responded to for a long time. They do not have all the distractions that working at home can.
Also, not everyone lives in a place that allows for a good or comfortable work at home space set up. That can be somewhat of an upper middle class privilege. I think some people don't realize not everyone is the same as them.

Offices provide a place to easily interact with co workers, without carefully scheduled calls or messages that may not get responded to for a long time. They do not have all the distractions that working at home can.
Also, not everyone lives in a place that allows for a good or comfortable work at home space set up. That can be somewhat of an upper middle class privilege. I think some people don't realize not everyone is the same as them.
Perfectly put.

There are also other problems with WFH that most people ignore: the lack of boundaries set externally tend to make people work more, without getting paid any extras; not separating work from living space can often create a constant anxiety around work-related things (you feel compelled to check e-mails even outside of work hours and stuff); It can lead to higher isolation and little to no social interaction, which is terrible for the average person (and even those less social, like me, end up suffering with the total isolation that WFH can entail).

These all apply, in some measure, to having bank branches/offices, etc... Not everyone actually likes to do everything digitally all of the time and some of us, even in younger generations, still like to have human contact (I would actually wager that the Gen Z is probably one of the most aware of the evils of the digital world, considering that there is a growing number of them that don't even have social media presence).

I don't usually agree with this kind of affirmative, but in this case, it is a fact.
I honestly believe we should have gated stops/stations throughout the system, and peace officers doing rounds on the VL trams verifying payment (not unlike they do in Rio, for example).
I really liked the system in Hong Kong when I went there several years ago. If you paid in cash for a single trip, you got a paper card with a stripe or bar code from the machine at the station that you then tapped at the turnstile for it to open. You also tapped it to exit. I understand that regular users could get a re-loadable plastic card that worked similarly, but also integrated into a popular payment system there.

I realize there are so many more users there, so they are way ahead of us, but its not like we are reinventing the wheel. It has been done successfully elsewhere, we should particularly look to places where it works smoothly and easily for users.

Back