Central Tower at Century Park | ?m | 18s | ProCura Real Estate | Humphreys

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't have a problem with it, this site will be very dense and that parking lot is VERY busy with thousands of people on the waiting list for pay parking.

@Hilman Why bring 500 cars and that much more traffic to the neighbourhood, when they could build another 500 units of less car-dependent people who use LRT to get around?
I know plenty of people that carpool to this location to use the LRT. Not everyone is going to live in a small condo, ever - this is even true in places like Vancouver where the mass transit is very well built. People still drive to certain locations such as Coquitlam or Lougheed to take the train. I think the city has to consider both sets of people. I suppose they could build a giant U/G parking lot if they really wanted to, though.

Because you add 500 cars on the roads that are going downtown, the university, etc. and we should not be dissuading people from taking mass transit. This TOD plans on adding 4,500 units, which is a huge number especially for a suburban area like this. I know you hate cars but providing a small parkade in a such a large development like this is the right decision. If this park and ride is removed without a replacement, people will end up driving and will be adding even more congestion to the already busy roads.

I know it can seem like it, but I really don't hate cars. But we need to stop trying to accommodate them at every possible turn if we ever want to become a city that is less dependent on them. Trying to alleviate traffic problems by concentrating them in a single community is not the way to do it. Subsidizing and encouraging transportation choices that are the most costly to our city, citizens, and society is not the way to do it. Trying to keep roads free of traffic in perpetuity isn't going to do it either.

You have to please the populous though and you can't switch from Houston to Copenhagen overnight, can't force it upon people and expect them to conform easily. It is going to take some time to change the truck driving car-centric suburban culture here and providing a middle ground is the best option here IMO. For the near future, not have a parking lot will decrease ridership, reduce transit profits and negatively effect the fight to fund future expansions. Adding a parking lot will increase ridership and overall positive effect on transit, and with about a 30 year life span of a parkade, future generations will most likely see a change in culture and the need to parkades will be eliminated. For the time being, it makes sense though.

Yup, and especially with Edmonton Transit in the state it is, busing to the station is often an unattractive option that a lot of people will choose to do without. 15-30 minute intervals on buses that loop around every cul-de-sac can make a 5 minute drive into >30 minute bus ride. Until Edmonton densifies to a level where 5-10 minute frequency and straighter routes by bus are possible, I think that having a park and ride will be a necessity. At least it's a parkade instead of a massive parking lot. Although I do hope it's integrated with some street level shops, or at the very least hidden behind other buildings with good urban form.

I recognize I'm an outlier in my opinion on this, but I feel strongly that the more we try to accommodate the realities of today, the longer it will take us to get to where we want and need to be. If we need to fix transit, then let's focus on that instead of continuing to make concessions for the form of transportation that costs us the most for the fewest returns.

In part I agree with you @Daveography -- but I would like Edmonton to expand the public transportation idiom (beyond LRT) to include an upgraded and updated historical tram presence, an alternative "sky taxi", and a series of neighborhood Olli busses. I could see the tram (driven by a MagneMotion LSM (Linear Synchronous Motor) propulsion system covering the existing route from Grandin to Strathcona with grade separations at 105th, 104th, Gateway Blvd. and extended along the CPR right-of-way to 68th Avenue then east to Mill Creek and there following the route of the one-time rail connection all the way to the Muttart Conservatory -- this would be an exciting tourist ride connecting the Government centre to Old Strathcona and the Conservatory with lots of view potential along the way. A separate tram line could run along Whyte Avenue from U of A to Bonnie Doone, reinforcing Whyte Avenue as an historic resource. The Sky Taxi would be an elevated people mover (small units of perhaps 12 passengers at a time) that would connect Old Strathcona (82nd Ave. and 104th Street) to the River Valley (Historic Power Plant and an Alberta Aquarium (bounded by 97th Avenue, River Road/Rossdale Road and 105th Street) and Renfrew Park (or whatever it is called now)) up the north slope of the valley along 104th street to Jasper Avenue. And the Olli self-driving busses would be neighbourhood collectors https://localmotors.com/olli/ that would feature on-bus entertainers/town criers that would make the ride entertaining, safe and timely.
Individual conveyances -- if we be honest with our own thoughts -- are here to stay. The future shape of these is hard to pinpoint -- for urbanites they will most likely become much smaller in scale (no need for large trunk storage spaces or engine compartments), they will undoubtedly be electric and self-driving (much safer for cyclists) and therefore may well be adapted to portable office use and will be stored at destination points in automated garages (already predominant in Europe, Japan and South Korea).

Drop in to learn about proposed rezoning to Century Park
May 18, 2017

The City is hosting two informal, drop-in opportunities to share information about the Century Park rezoning proposal.

Date: Wednesday, May 24 and Thursday, May 25, 2017
Time: 4 - 7 p.m. (Drop-in, no scheduled presentation)
Drop-in to learn about:

• The proposal scheduled to go forward to City Council at the June 12, 2017
Public Hearing

• Public feedback and how it has impacted the proposal

• The Public Hearing process

Both drop-in opportunities will provide the same information.

For more information:

Visit edmonton.ca/CenturyParkRezoning to view details about the application and follow its progress.

edmonton.ca/PublicInvolvementCalendar

Media contacts:

Erin Gallagher
Communications Advisor
Sustainable Development
780-289-1641

DACe1a3UAAEBhlD.jpg

https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/status/864865773063458817

Drop in to learn about proposed rezoning to Century Park
May 18, 2017

The City is hosting two informal, drop-in opportunities to share information about the Century Park rezoning proposal.

Date: Wednesday, May 24 and Thursday, May 25, 2017
Time: 4 - 7 p.m. (Drop-in, no scheduled presentation)

Drop-in to learn about:
• The proposal scheduled to go forward to City Council at the June 12, 2017 Public Hearing
• Public feedback and how it has impacted the proposal
• The Public Hearing process

Both drop-in opportunities will provide the same information.

For more information:

Visit edmonton.ca/CenturyParkRezoning to view details about the application and follow its progress.

edmonton.ca/PublicInvolvementCalendar

Media contacts:

Erin Gallagher
Communications Advisor
Sustainable Development
780-289-1641

Back