Brighton Block | 24m | 6s | Primavera | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• I like it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P7030044.jpg

A pair of Edmonton developers are hoping to breathe new life into a historic stretch of Jasper Avenue.
The Brighton Block and Pendennis Hotel are two of the last vestiges of Boyle Street as it looked in the early 20th century, with their red-pressed brick facades and billboards above the parapet.
Vacant for years after plans for a museum fell apart, LEDR and Primavera developments are almost ready to reopen the historic buildings as retail and office spaces at 97th Street.

Last edited:
I don't know @Kaizen , this neighborhood is going to need lots, and I mean LOTS of love to get to a point where it's even viewed as "okay".

For sure @Platinum107 , "the hood" will need BIG love, an orgy love-fest of development. Little steps. Having Brighton activated in 2020, (and damn its sexy), is a big wake-up I'd think. In addition ; the LRT station, the hat Hat, 97th Street Farmers Market, and the 2 Indigenous galleries if opened next year will inject more life to the Quarters than seen in the last 70 years of decay and drudgery. It might not seem like much of a change, but its huge love. Add in the 'delayed' opening of the Double Tree Hotel (also a shiny sexy silhouette of possibility, with CRU's that might one day be active...) and the start of the critical mass for a healthy neighborhood is in motion. I've missed a few positive developments too. This area WAS Edmonton's downtown with a capital "D" prior to its slow death. Most, if not all major N.A. cities have similar stories. Patience and persistence. There are 2 or 3 big projects that we all know about that are 'waiting in the wings' to develop homes/business in the Quarters. If the economy eventually shows signs of life again, then we will see the much needed influx of private investment that will bring the love that the Quarters so deserves.

@Kaizen totally agree with what you said, I also see great potential in this area. I love the amount of buildings and projects that are being proposed to breathe life back into the neighborhood, too!

Back