Brickyard Off 4th | 20m | 6s | Cove Properties

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't think we had a thread for this one; will have to try to find more info later:

Reference ID: Job No 327333581-001
Description: To Construct a 6 Storey Apartment House (36 Dwellings) with an Underground Parkade
Plan 1549EO Blk 17 Lot 1
11720 - 103 AVENUE NW
Plan 1549EO Blk 17 Lot 2
11718 - 103 AVENUE NW
Plan 1549EO Blk 17 Lot 3
11716 - 103 AVENUE NW
Plan 1549EO Blk 17 Lot 4
Applicant: S2 ARCHITECTURE
Create Date: 8/7/2019 2:06:03 PM
Neighbourhood: OLIVER

Saw this one at EDC yesterday. It's pretty meh, but at least with some high-quality materials like sandstone and brick. The north face is pretty barren, though, and I think EDC will clock them for it. Renders are not yet public.

@_Citizen_Dane_ They're old-ish, but I don't know if I would call them heritage, unless they have some historical significance I'm not aware of.
While no mayor or significant businessmen have lived in them as far as I'm aware, to me they’re still historically significant; they’re of an era and place that speak to the history of the community. They’re remarkably intact examples of 1920’s Craftsmen styled bungalows that represent the original small scale character of the neighbourhood, and speak to the area’s original working-class nature, and to me thats what will make their loss felt. And please no-one take this as anti-development, trust me, I’m far from that (truthfully I often hate the NIMBYism you hear from a lot of heritage advocates), but if you’re going to replace something that’s nearly 100 years old, and all the stories they encompass, than it should be something remarkable, not “pretty meh” or “uninspiring, to say the least.”

I think what's so frustrating is that we don't have to be demolishing anything at all to densify, yet proposal after proposal seems to be coming out that results in the demolishing of existing housing stock. And just to rub it in a bit more there's usually a surface lot right across the street that would have been perfect for a new development. Edmonton doesn't have a lot of older housing stock, so while they aren't necessarily historical, they do create character for a neighbourhood, and connect the city to its past.

It's pretty obvious why it's happening but it's very frustrating, and something that I think the city should definitely be more involved in. If you have the option to buy a few properties from individual home owners, or buy a parking lot with a steading income that is being used as an investment, the former is more likely to be cheaper and easier. Until holding on to empty/parking lots becomes less attractive, this is going to continue to be an issue.

One thing that the City could do is reduce the number of parking stalls required for businesses such as eateries, pubs and retail. They have talked a good game, but I don't believe that that has been followed up with action.

C.2 The Brickyard off 4th (Development Permit)
Funke Adesanya - S2 Architecture

MOTION: A. Benoit
Motion of support with conditions

The Applicants need to provide the following:
● Investigate opportunities to further screen the proposed transformer;
● Reconsider the design of the north facade to be more consistent with the other 3
facades (eg. materials);
● Provide additional information and detail on the proposed planters with respect to
depth and material finish; and
● Consider the interface and access of the proposed main entrance and the
south-west portion of the development which includes the main floor patio and
plaza.

SECONDED: D. Brown
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: W. Sims, C. Holmes, M. Figueira, A. Zepp, D. Deshpande, S.
Kaznacheeva, D. Brown, A.Benoit

Permit Type Major Development Permit
Permit Class Class B
Permit Date Dec 05, 2019
Status Approved
Description of Development To construct a 6 Storey Apartment House (36 Dwellings) with an underground parkade
Address 11724 - 103 AVENUE NW

Back