What do you think of this project?

• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
Site of the temporary transit plaza today.
F6048D91-DB59-4C3C-B6FF-38F8B88329EF.jpeg

Last edited:
The Safeway is getting exterior and interior upgrades but the 'big' news is that a temporary transit plaza linking the mall to the LRT stop is starting construction this fall and ending next spring. The plaza is being referred to as the first step in the mall redevelopment process and would be replaced by the 'formal' transit plaza once development reaches the southern portion of the mall site.

bd6-png.267350

View attachment 267345
View attachment 267346
View attachment 267347
View attachment 267348
View attachment 267349

What is this going to be, a temporary transit plaza or the public walkway and dropoff area?
The temporary transit plaza just provides a nicer connection from the mall to the station than a normal sidewalk. When the mall is redeveloped, the permanent transit plaza is slated to go in the parking lot by the safeway. The city mandated that the temporary plaza be built before any redevelopment takes place. The renderings for the temporary one were just linked; here's where the permanent one will be in relation to the development. You can find it in the approved rezoning document.
Plan.PNG

This may or may not be related to the Bonnie Doon Development but just had a look at the Mayor's Lobbyist Registry and noticed that a company called "Sequence Strategies" met with a representative of the City on March 22, 2021 and earlier on January 8, 2021. Both were considered lobbyist meetings about a "development opportunity" and were on behalf of B+A Planning (which is why I'm thinking its about Bonnie Doon as its their only current Edmonton project on their website.) Something could slowly be brewing (or its about another project 🙃).

Last edited:
I reached out to the planners that were working on Connect Bonnie Doon and they are in the initial planning and design stages of the first phase of residential development which will be on the western part of the property. He also noted Morguard will be launching a new website later this summer to keep the community informed.

From the approved zoning doc:
1623685802134.png

Last edited:
'Your Edmonton is showing'

We continue to build initial TOD phases furthest from transit stations, argh.
In this case, it could be because Safeway recently signed a long term (30y?) lease. Frustrating in this context, but not surprising given that it's definitely their most popular tenant (maybe tied with dollarama).

If it's somewhere on the western part of the property (it needs to be somewhere in the center of the mall as per the zoning doc I think), I wonder if they'll demolish part of the middle section of that mall, or the entire middle half. As someone who needs to take cardboard from a store near the safeway to a bailer by the dollarama, I'll be watching this very closely haha.

I can guess that there may be two reasons for this: 1. to ensure that the "has been" mall gets primary concern for redevelopment and 2. to ensure that LRT adjacent buildout (the prime space) is not developed and then the rest of the property ignored. Similar reasons from the City's perspective that the public park components are not ignored and are built out first. I think that it is smart development procedure for what intends to be an over all intense project.

Back