• I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
1702771253365.png

Huh, even these guys hint at the possibility of a Whyte Ave LRT being an extension of the high-floor system 👀

Last edited:
I wish the first thing they would do is take a bulldozer through the middle of the mall to open up 84 Ave. Selfish reasons, but would make walking to the lrt much easier after hours.

This statement sounds like some carbrained raving -- I want that sheltered public space GONE and asphalted so MUH ROAD gets extended through and I don't have to turn like some SECOND-CLASS citizen...

They should start with the carparks, especially the ones next to the LRT. Another option is the north end -- a proper road connecting 88 Ave and the exit to the Rec Centre would do wonders, so many people simply cut through the parking lot even with the new curbs Morguard put in.

View attachment 527848
Huh, even these guys hint at the possibility of a Whyte of LRT being an extension of the high-floor system 👀

In the legend (which was cropped out) it says the dotted blue lines are 'future LRT'... So it could be either.

Last edited:
This statement sounds like some carbrained raving -- I want that sheltered public space GONE and asphalted so MUH ROAD gets extended through and I don't have to turn like some SECOND-CLASS citizen...

They should start with the carparks, especially the ones next to the LRT. Another option is the north end -- a proper road connecting 88 Ave and the exit to the Rec Centre would do wonders, so many people simply cut through the parking lot even with the new curbs Morguard put in.
Car brained raving? It is literally the approved plan.

In the legend (which was cropped out) it says the dotted blue lines are 'future LRT'... So it could be either.
You missed the part where I said so I can walk to the lrt station easier after hours? Roads have more than one purpose.

I think these streets are planned to be super pedestrianized because of the transit stops. There is even going to be a big car free transit plaza. I'm a big car hater on this forum, but I don't see the issue with tiny streets that connect the neighbourhood to the stops.

I hadn't been to Bonnie Doon for quite a while, but went there this afternoon. After reading some of the gloomy postings about it in the past, I was surprised there actually were not that many vacant spaces and it was fairly busy particularly the south half of the mall.

It has an interesting mix of stores, some local and unique stores, not the popular and often more expensive fashion chains. Many of the places looked affordable, decent and locally owned. I have a feeling this place will do better than expected particularly in these though economic times.

These though economic times.
Mall retail seems to be doing very well these days. I don't recall Kingsway ever being this good. WEM's previously dead wing near the bay is almost full, and worth visiting. Southgate has some solid tenants like Lulu, Uniqlo, Sephora, Lego, Footlocker, The Bay.

WEM and the big 2 malls filling up is going to lead to some spillover to Bonnie Doon, and later ECC.

Yes, there have been no major new malls built in this city in many years. Kingsway has mostly just renovated and filled existing space vacated by Target and Sears, somewhat similarly for West Ed and Southgate. Most of that space is now mostly filled and whatever is left is probably at premium rates.

Yes, many power centres have been built (most further from central areas) but they are not that appealing in the winter, where it can be too far to walk between stores in the cold and if busy, not easy to drive and find another parking spot.

So I agree there is spillover and it may increase considerably in the near future as stores find it even more difficult to get space in or expand in the bigger malls.

Back