Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

A few more pictures of the lake have been posted to Blatchford's social media feeds:

1595039308435.png

1595039366799.png

1595039398097.png

I predict that the SWM facility will become a City-wide destination, given its great skyline views and novelty of having a large man-made wetland in the middle of the city (combined with high quality pedestrian and cycling infrastructure).

I'd love it if the cycling connections to and from Blatchford were better, as it seems it'll initially be an island in a sea of harsh arterial roads (i.e. Kingsway, Princess Elizabeth Ave, Yellowhead, etc.), as there is no way in heck I am taking a lane on Kingsway (aka death trap).

I predict that the SWM facility will become a City-wide destination, given its great skyline views and novelty of having a large man-made wetland in the middle of the city (combined with high quality pedestrian and cycling infrastructure).

I'd love it if the cycling connections to and from Blatchford were better, as it seems it'll initially be an island in a sea of harsh arterial roads (i.e. Kingsway, Princess Elizabeth Ave, Yellowhead, etc.), as there is no way in heck I am taking a lane on Kingsway (aka death trap).
totally agree with the island/lack of accessibility point. I've tried to bike there a couple time so far this summer to get construction photos for school, and have yet to find a good way of doing it that doesn't involve riding on sidewalks. there is a bike path along 109 Ave, but nothing running north from there towards Blatchford itself, save for along the LRT. I hope the path along the metro line gets continued across Princess Elizabeth Ave into Nait, it would be a simple fix that would tie Blatchford and NAIT Campus to downtown. some kind of crossing across Kingsway would be ideal too. We have great, well-used bike paths in this part of the city, Batchford needs connections to them in order to grow!

That's the old railway right of way. Always felt that should have been the LRT right of way. But riding in from St Albert is is a pretty quick path to downtown. When the LRT is finally through Blatchford it would be nice to link the trails up.

As for Blatchford I believe they are connecting the new residential to the utility building in the next few weeks.

It look like the first 3 pictures are of homes located on the pedestrian pathway. The first picture is Ocheller by Redbrick, while the second and third pictures are by Mutti. The 4th picture shows the Encore townhomes, and these are not located on the pedestrian pathway. I'm eager to see what the pedestrian street looks like once landscaping is complete and the townhomes along it have been finished.

Description: To construct exterior and interior alterations to the existing Blatchford air traffic control tower (adding landscaping and 8 bike racks and converting 4 parking stalls to a loading area, relocating waste collection area) and to change the use to from Minor Impact Utility Services to Community Recreation Services Use.
Permit date: August 18, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class B
Address: 2755 - BLATCHFORD ROAD NW
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA
Zoning: BP

Back