Blatchford Development | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Me and my dad rode our bikes here today, and oh boy did we have an adventure!
99555266-765F-40BF-83AC-9D58ED37335E.jpeg
C79E3BFD-3D5C-434B-AFB0-D1C01F71946F.jpeg
FCB93EA8-C99C-46A9-8675-4E7FE4F132F4.jpeg

Littlewood Park is so cool! I love this playground 🤗

CC493D6C-C869-4761-87DF-E0684AFE0026.jpeg

92A53A97-2B4C-42A7-8DF4-A010B3ADACA2.jpeg

And right across is the park of all parks, Blatchford Park (this thing is massive!)

CEE2AB6D-1F3F-4CEC-A41C-A83CD45797DC.jpeg

DESS Energy Centre 1 looking fine as ever

F300792B-E77F-47DA-8EB3-531D92E8DF0A.jpeg

61B1D0D9-7DAE-4D86-ACEC-ED68E646495B.jpeg

and ME! It felt so surreal to be on that old runway, so much open space in all directions yet there’s downtown behind me.

426FDE61-2155-4D5D-B8F8-AD2128858F08.jpeg

I found the pond very small when I saw it last month, perhaps it has too many islands on it. The baby trees make it look bigger than it really is. There are ponds in the suburbs that are larger than this. Not much has changed since last month.

I think it's supposed to be at least a couple feet higher, but I could be wrong idk 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Me and my dad rode our bikes here today, and oh boy did we have an adventure!
Littlewood Park is so cool! I love this playground 🤗
And right across is the park of all parks, Blatchford Park (this thing is massive!)
DESS Energy Centre 1 looking fine as ever
and ME! It felt so surreal to be on that old runway, so much open space in all directions yet there’s downtown behind me.
AUGH these pics and the lighting are awesome! especially of the Shiny Circle of Science. the muck on the East side of the site is brutal on a bike, but those runways are something to behold. did you see anything on the metro line site? that site is accessible from the runway as well. thanks for sharing the photos of your adventure!

@cliffapotamus Thanks no problem! actually I didn't see much in terms of the LRT construction, just a few pylons and trucks around there is all. I'm not surprised because there's absolutely no rush to get the line finished as, y'know, you don't want an LRT line going to nothing 🥴 My guess is they'll start working on Blatchford East in the next year or 2 to make sure that doesn't happen.

I'm also wondering how Blatchford West is going to be served by transit? Is there going to be bus route that goes along airport road or would residents have to walk all the way to Kingsway Ave to catch the bus? 🤔

hey. Dirt and pylons is still progress and some of us just wanna see something happen lol. transit access is a great question. the road behind kingsway, the west entrance to the development, is close enough for buses to the houses currently being built. beyond that i would assume something will run near the lake? this is a good question. in the immediate future Kingsway Ave is all they'll get though i'm sure.

The runways were fun to drive on during visits to the DESS construction. Hard not to speed.
The kids park is quite the site, I did notice they are going with wood chips and not sand or rubber chips.

I a really surprised that the site is not secured anymore. During DESS construction most of the land was on lock down.

Description: To operate a Special Event from September 4 to September 27 (drive-in outdoor concerts and movies) and to erect 3 tent structures and 1 mobile stage
Permit date: September 2, 2020
Type: Development Permit
Subtype: Major Development Permit
Category: N/A
Class: Class A
Address: 64 - AIRPORT ROAD NW
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA
Zoning: IB,IB,IB

1599148958126.png

I didn't see it posted yet but the city has released a bit more of a granular view of the full Blatchford build out here.

A couple photos from my recent visit. The first is the skyline from my future back deck.
PXL_20201002_012326246.jpg

And I didn't notice before but Energy Center One is illuminated with colour shifting LEDs after dark
PXL_20201002_012810992.jpg

I hope they are really serious about making sure the areas that have "potential for mixed use" actually end up getting commercial. Once those areas are built up you can't go back and change them, and they will be critical for setting the community apart and actually achieving what they set out to do.

Back