9955 Jasper Avenue | 105m | 34s | Great Gulf | a—A

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
@MichaelC I get where your coming from with that thought. I've always really liked Bankers hall, or other examples of postmodern that work well. As a kid growing up in Edmonton in the 70's, I always admired the old towers in the other 'big' Canadian cities... and dreamed of a Chrysler or Empire State in Edmonton! I'm still a dreamer. Love the progressive setbacks and tapers, curves. I think an art deco inspired tall in the Quarters one day would be just fine.

C.1 9955 Jasper (Rezoning)
Elise Shillington - Stantec

Motion: D. Brown

Support with conditions

Seconded: B. Nolan

While the Committee appreciates the Applicant’s approach to locating and siting the
building to create an outdoor plaza and maintain view corridors to the Hotel MacDonald,
the Committee recommends the Applicant continue to work with Administration to
provide greater detail in the design regulations and the appended landscape plan with
regard to the plaza; specifically:
● The identification and preservation of view corridors through the space and to the
Hotel MacDonald
● The creation of appropriate transitions (ie. spatial quality, materiality, access and
movement) to adjacent buildings and open spaces, including the Hotel
MacDonald, 100 Street and Jasper Avenue
● The proposed materiality of the plaza
● The identification of year round use and programming features (including but not
limited to public art, lighting and related infrastructure to support outdoor
activities)
● The creation of the shared space, integrating roadway access into the plaza space,
with priority given to pedestrian access and safety.
The Committee notes that many of the above items have been referenced in the
‘Response to Urban Design Principles’, but not integrated into the DC regulation or
appended Site / Landscape Plan.

CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: R. Labonte, B. Nolan, J. Mills, D. Deshpande, S. Kaznacheeva, W.
Sims, T. Antoniuk, D. Brown
AGAINST: C. Holmes

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_govern...ontonDesignCommittee_Minutes_April30_2019.pdf

Didn't know that this will be the second tallest tower in Edmonton (well the third if you are counting the Aldrit tower)

The 4 tallest towers in Edmonton will be paired up which will look interesting.

Last edited:

Back