Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-X-Tower-Rendering-City.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2,881
  • Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-X-Tower-View1.jpg
    Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-X-Tower-View1.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 1,786
  • Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-X-Tower-View2.jpg
    Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-X-Tower-View2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,893
Why so pessimistic, @Daveography? The Schluessels have a strong portfolio of developed properties and they don't seem to be taking any of their "future" projects off the table. As a stand-alone development, this tower makes a bold design statement and breaks away from the boxy towers that have become an Edmonton trademark. Where it is sited, it provides a complementary contrast to all adjacent buildings, historic and otherwise -- a positive "ring" for a rapidly growing city, recession aside.

@archited I don't want to say too much, but I feel like ProCura has been struggling since Century Park didn't really take off. They have a good land portfolio, but I feel like they're going to have to start selling some of it if they want to get any more projects off the ground soon.

@Daveography -- well, I know that they want to sell the Paramount Theatre site (although they still have it listed in their "future" portfolio). And they do have two significant projects under construction and nearing completion on 109th street. I can well imagine that they would like to start a new one or two downtown projects once these two have been turned over to their property management group. I have just begun discussions with them on a new mega-project. If they still have a rapport with the French company Accorhotels SA re the Hotel Macdonald site, then I think the project might well proceed. Edmonton has a real deficit in up-scale hotel rooms and the Mac could surely cash in on this considering its site adjacent to the Convention Centre and the downtown business district -- not to mention its fantastic river valley overview. Regarding Century Park, they are moving along there (snail's pace) and I imagine that piece by piece it will eventually get built out.

Edmonton developer seeks to turn Frank Oliver Park into residential tower
One of downtown Edmonton’s few green spaces may become a residential tower, smack dab in front of the historic Hotel MacDonald.

On Tuesday, ProCura’s CEO and president George Schluessel told Metro the company is looking to rezone the parkspace in early 2017 for a multi-residential building.

“It’s a great thing,” said Schluessel regarding the development. “It’s a good location to develop on.”

But Chris Buyze, president of the Downtown Edmonton Community League, said he’d like to see the park stay the same.

“We would be concerned about losing that, not just for the downtown residents, but for the city as a whole,” he said. “It’s a fairly significant green space in the downtown and it’s right in front of our most iconic buildings.”

Full Story (Metro Edmonton)

I think that would be okay as long as Edmonton purchased the parking lot across the street (beside the World Trade Building) and made it into a park. That lot is above the LRT tunnels anyway, so not much development opportunity. But X Tower could do good things for that corner, being one of Edmonton's major intersections. Interested to see what takes shape.

When approvals are in hand, I would expect that this tower will proceed -- especially with the news east of this site of a mega-structure in the works. With Edmonton's tourism numbers amping up, the new focus will be hotels (high-end facilities particularly).

Back