124 Westmount | ?m | 2s | Beljan Development | Dub Architects

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wider sidewalks for sure. Don't think they'll ever add bike lanes to 124th, given the MUP off 121st and the bike lane on 127th, but who knows...

127 works well, as does 121.

Look north of 111ave to see how 124st will be updated as it moves south.

Mostly residential north of 111 ave so I hope they don't just continue the very simple sidewalk renewal they did north of 111 ave. It's simple and quite nice but if the CoE cheaps out on the 'main drag' of 124st it'll just be another missed opportunity. Let's step it up a notch if we really think 124st could be a key area for the city (and it likely will be given proximity to dt and lrt).

I've been thinking about this. It does suck (especially outside of the summer months) how instantly quiet it becomes after 6 pm most evenings, and most businesses aren't even open past 10 pm on a Friday/Saturday. Not sure if 124th should ever embrace nightlife like Whyte does, but I have wondered how a more nightclub business might fair on 124th.

Or if nothing else, if more businesses would take notes from the way Tiramisu Bistro activates the street around it. Why Koutouki, Nuovo and Woodshed don't have a big street lane patio to open up to is criminal.
Well, there are two businesses that are open past 10pm in Substation - Irrational and Powerage. When Grizzlar opens (taking foreeeeeever but I've heard it's super close) I think they will also have later hours. In general it's coming along. It will continue mature especially with the density that has developed (and in development).

3 blocks off is pretty bad… 83ave or 102ave we can excuse for whyte/jasper. But 3 blocks with basically no E/W routes to connect doesn’t help. Maybe a few more E/W routes would make it reasonable. Currently it’s a very poor experience to access 124st by bike as it forces sidewalk riding or door zone/cars hating road use

Maybe not ideal, but on a bike that's 30 seconds off. I've taken my bike to 124st many times along 102ave or 105ave and used 121 as I approached to go north/south and heading further west used 127st without much of an issue.

That said, once you get to 124st, it usually requires heading out onto 124st or walking the bike down the sidewalk.... not great, but not egregious given that you are probably within a block of your destination or less.

What I would like to see are more expanded patios that are curb height similar to Whyte where parking is.

Traffic along 124st in the key areas is usually slow enough that its not terribly imposing or worrisome.

Well, there are two businesses that are open past 10pm in Substation - Irrational and Powerage. When Grizzlar opens (taking foreeeeeever but I've heard it's super close) I think they will also have later hours. In general it's coming along. It will continue mature especially with the density that has developed (and in development).
I have unfortunate news for you. The Grizzlar's main location has been closed with signage on the door about not paying rent. Sadly, this one is probably toast...

I have unfortunate news for you. The Grizzlar's main location has been closed with signage on the door about not paying rent. Sadly, this one is probably toast...
I am very aware of what's happening with Grizzlar at Substation as I am also an owner in the project. They've had some 'issues' to put it lightly. We believe they are going to pull through and get this store opened.

I think they've had a lot of break-ins and thefts at their other businesses, which is sad to see. I really hope they pull through

Rendering still nicer, but not bad at all. Great addition to 124th!

8343B255-95C4-4EAB-BAED-B6EBBE478F33.jpeg
7F3B3FCB-F58E-4359-BE32-4E85FEE3487F.jpeg

It's a nice building but I sure hope signage or awnings adds some character. It's kinda hard at a glance to even know where the doors are.

Protruding awnings the full length of the building with “boxes” for signage were nicer than small recessed entries in final build, in my completely useless/unimportant opinion lol. Unless there is more to come on the exterior?

and to answer your unnecessarily sarcastic question, no the orange bands don’t do enough.

Protruding awnings the full length of the building with “boxes” for signage were nicer than small recessed entries in final build, in my completely useless/unimportant opinion lol. Unless there is more to come on the exterior?

and to answer your unnecessarily sarcastic question, no the orange bands don’t do enough.
Recessed entrances were always part of the plan. Not sure why the steel sign band was deleted (was a decision that happened after I left).

But the orange bands do draw ones eye to the entrances given how it contrasts with the grey coloured spandrel panels and clear glazing.

Back