12330 109 Ave | 23m | 6s | Pyrmont Developments | FAAS Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Unfortunately I fear that in the eyes of a lot of people outside of Edmonton we will always be considered a small city. Every time I mention to someone even someone from the Edmonton region that we're 1 million plus with almost 1.4 in the metro they're shocked that we've gotten so big. Most people think Winnipeg is bigger than us (these are obviously people who have zero interest in cities or city planning). I think it's because when people think of Edmonton they either think of the mall or Wayne Gretzky. Edmonton really needs to start marketing itself as the modern, progressive (by Albertan standards) cosmopolitan city that it is.

I have hopes that the FIFA World Cup will change that a little bit. If anything, the event organization itself usually works to promote the host cities, as it helps them attract more people, better sponsors, etc... But I agree with you that Edmonton suffers from a lack of self promoting and a lot of bad publicity.

@Platinum107 I think that it depends... ideally, our whole central area would be filled with "main streets" : 124 St, Jasper Ave, 109 St (both sides of the river), 104 St (North of the river), 101 St, 97st, Whyte Ave, 112 St, 104 St/Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard (between 84 Ave and University Ave) are all existing and/or potential main streets. I would love to see all of them flourish in my lifetime, but unfortunately I find that to be very unlikely.

Right now, I see 124 St as the closest to become our 3rd, considering all of the recent and future development in and around it: VLW LRT, Roxy Theatre, Substation #600, MEC parking lot redevelopment, Glenora Park, The Maclaren, MODA's FARM project, Jasper 123, Hat @124, 124 Westmount, the project in this thread... Not to mention the nice residential density around it in Oliver, Westmount and Glenora (which is increasing: CNIB, 121 West, Open Sky 121, just to stay within walking distance). Sum all of this with what we already have there, I think within the next 2 to 5 years 124 St will have become a full fledged main street.

The difference is that while 124 St is attracting people and developments, 97 St is losing them. A revival in the area could bring 97 St back to it's former glory and push it as a 4th main street for the city, but there are way too many issues to be fixed in the area before this is in the sights. In order, I would say that 97th area needs to address: safety -> infrastructure -> residential density before anything.
I wouldn't say 97th is losing people/developments. The new , larger Italian Bakery is currently under construction and a couple of new infill commercial buildings have gone up over the past couple of years. Yes, there are some vacant storefronts but they are being filled over time. There is continuing investment in the area, thankfully.

Unfortunately I fear that in the eyes of a lot of people outside of Edmonton we will always be considered a small city. Every time I mention to someone even someone from the Edmonton region that we're 1 million plus with almost 1.4 in the metro they're shocked that we've gotten so big. Most people think Winnipeg is bigger than us (these are obviously people who have zero interest in cities or city planning). I think it's because when people think of Edmonton they either think of the mall or Wayne Gretzky. Edmonton really needs to start marketing itself as the modern, progressive (by Albertan standards) cosmopolitan city that it is.

People can be very insular in their views and it takes time for them to change. You know, for instance someone who visited their aunt in Edmonton in 1988 - that might be still be their view of this city.

I am not sure if changing those people's views matters so much, but we do need to reach business and other leaders across the country. Those people do tend to be a bit more informed and up to date, but it doesn't help much that generally there is limited national media coverage outside a few select regional cities.

I am not a marketing expert, but I think it would be helpful if we be aware of and do not play to the existing stereotypes as much ourselves when we have a chance to get a message across outside of our own city and look for ways to highlight other aspects of our city.

Should we think about a 124 Street/Oliver/Westmount thread under "Urban Life"? I think there's a lot of interesting things to discuss here, but don't want to derail this topic (the building itself).
I agree. There's a lot happening around this area that we can debate!

I wouldn't say 97th is losing people/developments. The new , larger Italian Bakery is currently under construction and a couple of new infill commercial buildings have gone up over the past couple of years. Yes, there are some vacant storefronts but they are being filled over time. There is continuing investment in the area, thankfully.
You do make a good point, and I frankly hope that the area around 97 St can move forward with these developments and start attracting residential development as well.
I'm hoping hat we can elect a council and a mayor that will look to some areas of town with more interest and respect, especially for the city's history. Chinatown and Boyle street deserve some love and incentives for developers to build/renovate and for people and businesses to move in.
I would love to see all of the storefronts in 97 street filled, sidewalks full of patios and people in restaurants, stores and cafes.

My whole argument was that, as of now, 124 and surroundings are more promising and active as an existing/potential main street, whereas 97 St, seems to be struggling. Hopefully the Italian Bakery will start a movement that'll breathe life and freshen up the area.

Taken this morning. Is this sign new or has it been there for a while?
20230711_123208.jpg

Taken this morning. Is this sign new or has it been there for a while? View attachment 491571

I'm 99.9% sure that's new. I live very close to this site and often go by hoping for signs of imminent progress. Looks like you just found it! Love this little development. Keeps the momentum on 124st going. There's also the little Beljan conversion on 124st just north of 106ave (and another one of their projects lightly farther north). Keep 'em coming.

Back