105 Avenue (Columbia Avenue) Streetscape | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

I actually disagree, industrial areas should have a reasonably wide sidewalks too, not exactly like a downtown, but also not little piddly 3' concrete platforms next to semi trucks blasting through slush puddles. If we're going to try and tell people you don't need a car, then we should be building respectable infrastructure for everyone, everywhere.
Oh I agree that modern industrial areas should have good pedestrian infrastructure. You misunderstood what I said though. I said that before what is being done now the industrial area was the old fashion style of industrial that didn't require any considerations for pedestrians. When this entire area was a train yard and industrial zone the shear idea of access for pedestrians was out of the question. Now that industrial is in many ways leaving this area, finally we are seeing the necessary infrastructure being put into place.

Oh I agree that modern industrial areas should have good pedestrian infrastructure. You misunderstood what I said though. I said that before what is being done now the industrial area was the old fashion style of industrial that didn't require any considerations for pedestrians. When this entire area was a train yard and industrial zone the shear idea of access for pedestrians was out of the question. Now that industrial is in many ways leaving this area, finally we are seeing the necessary infrastructure being put into place.
Oh sorry, my bad! Yeah there's so much outdated infrastructure in areas like these still "in use" from old road design philosophies, especially in the case of industrial areas, it really is a shame how long it can linger and what a profound negative impact it can have on the accessibility of an area.

Is the 109-116st section complete?
Not quite. The section between 109 and 112 is pretty much complete except for the new streetlights. The section between 112 and 113 hasn’t really been touched (they did underground utilities this year and will be building the plaza next year). Between 113 and 116, the south half of the road is complete with a new sidewalk and most of the trees planted. But the north side still has to be done.

Project Update - April 2023

Construction on Phase 3 of the 105 Avenue Streetscape between 113 Street and 116 Street is anticipated to begin in late April.

Construction work will include:

Drainage work
Road and sidewalk reconstruction
Intersection reconstruction
Streetscaping
Installation of the Columbia Avenue Plaza
The reconstruction of the 105 Avenue intersections will be completed consecutively with 112 Avenue, 113 Avenue, 114 Avenue and 115 Avenue intersections requiring temporary full road closures.

The installation of permanent one-way bike lanes will be completed between 112 and 109 Street, as well as on 116 and 113 Street. A temporary road closure of 105 Avenue will be required during construction on this segment.

The conversion to one-way bike lanes west of 109 Street will require the two-way bike lane between 109 and 105 Street to be converted to one-way bike lanes on either side of 105 Avenue. The bike lane conversion will result in the closure of the diagonal section of 105 Avenue west of 108 Street.

Access
Vehicular traffic will be directed into one-way traffic on 105 Avenue between 109 Street and 116 Street as required. Motorists can detour either along 104 Avenue or 106 Avenue.
Cyclists are asked to detour along 106 Avenue between 100 Street to 117 Street. The speed limit will be reduced along this road to accommodate safe travel. Detour maps will be posted along the route.
Pedestrians are asked to follow the detour signage provided along the route where sidewalk segments remain under construction.
Access to businesses and residences will be maintained during construction.
Parking at Park Avenue Apartments will be maintained during 112 Avenue and 113 Avenue temporary closures.

Construction Bulletin - May 2023

On another note, someone from the city shared this final design with parking details for the south side last November, but I forgot to post it here.

I still can't believe we're going from a two-way protected bike lane to something that's more paint than barrier in some stretches.

Attachments

• Columbia Ave - Southside Parking.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 43
The final lift of pavement and the bike lane curbs went in this past week between 109 and 112 Streets. Here are some photos taken today.

110 Street looking west
IMG_0095.jpeg

112 Street looking west towards the plaza currently under construction.
IMG_0096.jpeg

112 Street looking east
IMG_0097.jpeg

So what do we have in the pipeline for future developments along this stretch other than the Atco parcel?

The final lift of pavement and the bike lane curbs went in this past week between 109 and 112 Streets. Here are some photos taken today.

110 Street looking west
View attachment 494064

112 Street looking west towards the plaza currently under construction.
View attachment 494065

112 Street looking east
View attachment 494066

I really like what this building owner is doing - making some changes to the building design and the storefronts along 105ave.

However, the sidewalk in front of those future businesses is not very wide - the city gave the south side of the street a really wide sidewalk and landscaping and trees and other side looks a little underwhelming in this section.

Screenshot_20230722-130923_Samsung Internet.jpg

A couple other disappointments about Columbia Avenue that originally had such promise.

The sidewalk on the north side of the road is 6ft wide from the edge of the building pictured. When somebody opens the door from one the of the CRUs, it will come out half way into the sidewalk- it just seems really inadequate and not a pleasant experience - just concrete. Does this new sidewalk infastructure look pleasant to anyone?

20230722_185834.jpg
Screenshot_20230722-222638_Gallery.jpg

On the south side of the street, I don't like the parked cars located where they are. The bike lane runs between the traffic lane and the parked cars.

As you can also see, you get a bit wider of a vehicle parked there like a Tesla (some wider than 7ft) or Ford F150 at nearly 7ft wide) and they will be part way into the bike lane. The white VW is less than 6 ft wide and is already off the edge. There are bollards in the other side so vehicles can't park too close to those or can't open door.

Screenshot_20230722-223435_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Back