105 Avenue (Columbia Avenue) Streetscape | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Saw this as I was leaving MacEwan today. Sorry for the low quality, I just took a quick picture on my iPhone 😅 (Western side of 105th ave and 109th street intersection)
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 5.37.20 PM.png

Project Update – May 2022​

Phase 1 streetscape construction between 109 Street and 111 Street is nearing completion. Bollards, lighting, and trees are anticipated to be installed in summer 2022.

Starting May through early July, a full road closure between 112 Street and 113 Street will occur for sewer installation and a lane closures will occur to complete the streetscape construction from east of 111 Street to 112 Street. Cyclists are being asked to detour on 106 Avenue between 110 Street and 115 Street during construction.

Phase 2 streetscape construction between 113 Street and 116 Street is anticipated to begin late June or early July. The streetscape work will include some sewer work, road and sidewalk construction, streetlights, tree installation, and electrical work. One way traffic will occur between 113 Street and 116 Street. The direction will change as required for construction. This work is anticipated to be completed in late fall 2022.

Access to businesses will be maintained during construction. Temporary full road/sidewalk closures in this area may occur to accommodate construction activities.

Cyclists are being asked to travel along 106 Avenue while construction of the bike lane is being completed. Motorists are asked to use 106 Avenue or 104 Avenue for through traffic. Pedestrians are asked to follow the detour signs provided on site. Please watch for signage and detours in the area.

Construction Bulletin - May 2022

Project Update – May 2022​

Phase 1 streetscape construction between 109 Street and 111 Street is nearing completion. Bollards, lighting, and trees are anticipated to be installed in summer 2022.

Starting May through early July, a full road closure between 112 Street and 113 Street will occur for sewer installation and a lane closures will occur to complete the streetscape construction from east of 111 Street to 112 Street. Cyclists are being asked to detour on 106 Avenue between 110 Street and 115 Street during construction.

Phase 2 streetscape construction between 113 Street and 116 Street is anticipated to begin late June or early July. The streetscape work will include some sewer work, road and sidewalk construction, streetlights, tree installation, and electrical work. One way traffic will occur between 113 Street and 116 Street. The direction will change as required for construction. This work is anticipated to be completed in late fall 2022.

Access to businesses will be maintained during construction. Temporary full road/sidewalk closures in this area may occur to accommodate construction activities.

Cyclists are being asked to travel along 106 Avenue while construction of the bike lane is being completed. Motorists are asked to use 106 Avenue or 104 Avenue for through traffic. Pedestrians are asked to follow the detour signs provided on site. Please watch for signage and detours in the area.

Construction Bulletin - May 2022

Phase 1 (109 Street-111 Street) update:

(Crappy iPhone shots, apologies in advance!) Much improved over what was there before. The wide sidewalks are appreciated, and it feels a lot safer to walk here now. Once the trees mature, it will look even better! I have high hopes for this area if the city can keep adding new projects (hopefully with CRUs) and with the MacEwan master plan. It's looking like this could become one of the most walkable and pedestrian friendly parts of the city, especially with Ice District Phase 2 and Station lands nearby. It could also become one of the most accessible areas of the city with the current Metro/Capital Line LRT and the future Valley Line LRT right near here, in addition to bike lanes and a hub of bus routes along 104th

image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpeg

What a difference that wide spacious sidewalks can have! It baffles me that the standard has for so long been narrow little strips of concrete, and still is for most areas! Especially once you start adding on sign posts etc etc...
It concerns me still though how inconsistent our design standards are, and that we only create all this space specific areas that get that extra bit of attention under their own redevelopment project. I'm not really talking about the fancy brick accents or anything either, I just mean w i d e sidewalks.

What a difference that wide spacious sidewalks can have! It baffles me that the standard has for so long been narrow little strips of concrete, and still is for most areas! Especially once you start adding on sign posts etc etc...
It concerns me still though how inconsistent our design standards are, and that we only create all this space specific areas that get that extra bit of attention under their own redevelopment project. I'm not really talking about the fancy brick accents or anything either, I just mean w i d e sidewalks.
True to point, but remember that for many years that whole stretch was an industrial area bordered by a train yard, so the last thing needed there was a sidewalk, let alone a wide sidewalk.

Thankfully this has now been changed for its current usage.

feel sorry for those trees. those small water-wells will never collect enough natural rain water for them to survive. They'll need constant hand watering to thrive.

True to point, but remember that for many years that whole stretch was an industrial area bordered by a train yard, so the last thing needed there was a sidewalk, let alone a wide sidewalk.

Thankfully this has now been changed for its current usage.
I actually disagree, industrial areas should have a reasonably wide sidewalks too, not exactly like a downtown, but also not little piddly 3' concrete platforms next to semi trucks blasting through slush puddles. If we're going to try and tell people you don't need a car, then we should be building respectable infrastructure for everyone, everywhere.

feel sorry for those trees. those small water-wells will never collect enough natural rain water for them to survive. They'll need constant hand watering to thrive.
This whole sidewalk is built on top of Silva Cells; they just finished installing them all the way to 112st about a month ago. Those cells work really well; the section of 105ave west of 116 was built similarly and the sidewalk trees there are doing really well (vandalism aside). It looks like a lot of concrete, but looking at where this solution has already been used, these trees will live a long life here.

Back