103 Avenue & 123 Street | ?m | ?s | Averton

I would prefer these buildings didn't get torn out unless absolutely necessary, but realistically, these walkups in Oliver will vanish, as the neighbourhood densifies. Oliver's densification process is getting more and more intense, and there are very few lots and/or houses left. Most of the available land is already spoken for, and will eventually be developed (Edmonton Motors, Emerald...) into very high-density. The neighbourhood is also gentrifying, albeit ever so slightly, and this is a movement that we probably can't stop (and I don't even know if we should, as controversial of an opinion as this is).

Give it another 15~20 years and these walkups, so ubiquitous in Oliver, will be all but gone, with maybe a few survivors.
yup, and much more total supply will result, maintaining overall market affordability

I'll add as well that there's a false equivalency being made when people often compare infill with former houses/buildings. Yes, there are technically more units and they definitely are more expensive, but these are new constructions with new amenities and larger units (e.g. skinny homes usually have more square footage than the houses they replace)

Back