News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 7.50.26 PM.png

Which is not unreasonable given the empty lots and underdeveloped areas.
Agreed. We can easily accommodate. It would just be a wild increase. Say the average building is 250units, that’s meaning 150-200 new buildings, right?

^Yes. When the Downtown Vibrancy Task Force in the past had been promoting '20k by 2020', at the time the population of Downtown was around 12k, even 8000 people would mean 30ish new towers.

At the rate we're going now, 1 or 2 completed towers every few years isn't going to move the needle much. And unfortunately there's only so much market demand for condo tower living. We need a whole lot more 6-12 storey type product as well. Take Oliver as well, west Oliver lots going on but we need stuff happening in all the core neighbourhoods and redevelopment areas. That's going to take a lot of effort and moving demand from suburban condos to the core. I just don't see it happening that quickly.

It always blows me away that an individual tower houses so few people - it makes sense but I always have this thing in the back of my head "big building = thousands of people".
Which in turns makes me wonder why more towers and large apartments don't get built, since each one really doesn't uptake that many people...

OPPORTUNITY

OLIVER GATES SHOPPING CENTRE IS POSITIONED ON THE MAIN INTERSECTION OF 109 STREET AND 104 AVENUE, AND SEES OVER 60,000 COMBINED VEHICLES PER DAY. The Property is easily accessible from any direction into downtown, with great visibility and sightlines. The ±33,000 SF vacancy can be available on 60 days notice, and has the ability to be demised.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 9.19.36 AM.png

I had no idea the downtown Best Buy closed down. With the Canadian Brewhouse relocating to ICE District next month, that leaves just Mikado and Harveys in Oliver Gates.

It would be so nice if somebody like Cidex purchased and redeveloped that land- a few more Hat@122s perhaps.

In looking at that drawing of the land, it is so sad seeing more than 50% of space in this location (any location for that matter) is allocated for parking and what that means economically, livability, environmentally etc. Ok I'll get off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
I talked to someone at the downtown Best Buy and was told that the store will stay open until the Boxing Day holiday season is over. After that, who knows?

OPPORTUNITY

OLIVER GATES SHOPPING CENTRE IS POSITIONED ON THE MAIN INTERSECTION OF 109 STREET AND 104 AVENUE, AND SEES OVER 60,000 COMBINED VEHICLES PER DAY. The Property is easily accessible from any direction into downtown, with great visibility and sightlines. The ±33,000 SF vacancy can be available on 60 days notice, and has the ability to be demised.

View attachment 419806

60 days to be vacant for a currently operating Best Buy? Something isn't particularly adding up here unless they're shutting their doors within the month.

I'm curious to know what will happen to Harveys and Mikado, seeing that the latter is quite popular. I could see both of them moving to Unity Square or the Brewery District.

Back