News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

Honest question, if you shop more than once a month, what are you buying? (Excluding groceries, food, toiletries)

Clothes: Simons at Londonderry, HBC at Southgate, Mars & Venus in Old Strathcona or Henry Singer at Manulife
Gym gear: Sport Chek at ECC, Kingsway or WEM
Hardware: Home Depot at Westmount (I have a friend who works there) or Crappy Tire on Kingsway
Books/comics: Wonder Harbor near Ice District, Audreys in downtown, Variant Edition in the west end, Indigo at various locations
Pet store: Petland in the Brewery District
Software and computer equipment: downtown Best Buy or Memory Express
Appliances: Avenue Appliances in Old Strathcona or Trail Appliances on the south side
Furniture: Konto, Structube (on Jasper Ave next to Cactus Club), The Brick (107 Ave north of downtown), Leons or IKEA
Mattress: Sleep Country at various locations (Kingsway, WEM)
Gas: often purchased at Esso on 124 St (if I need a car wash), Betty's Corner at Jasper Ave/116 St or the downtown Petro Canada on 109 St
Tires: Kal Tire in the Oliver neighborhood
Car maintenance/repairs: Subaru City in the west end or Herbers on 75th St
Records: Blackbyrd in Old Strathcona (though it's been ages)

Clothes: Simons at Londonderry, HBC at Southgate, Mars & Venus in Old Strathcona or Henry Singer at Manulife
Gym gear: Sport Chek at ECC, Kingsway or WEM
Hardware: Home Depot at Westmount (I have a friend who works there) or Crappy Tire on Kingsway
Books/comics: Wonder Harbor near Ice District, Audreys in downtown, Variant Edition in the west end, Indigo at various locations
Pet store: Petland in the Brewery District
Software and computer equipment: downtown Best Buy or Memory Express
Appliances: Avenue Appliances in Old Strathcona or Trail Appliances on the south side
Furniture: Konto, Structube (on Jasper Ave next to Cactus Club), The Brick (107 Ave north of downtown), Leons or IKEA
Mattress: Sleep Country at various locations (Kingsway, WEM)
Gas: often purchased at Esso on 124 St (if I need a car wash), Betty's Corner at Jasper Ave/116 St or the downtown Petro Canada on 109 St
Tires: Kal Tire in the Oliver neighborhood
Car maintenance/repairs: Subaru City in the west end or Herbers on 75th St
Records: Blackbyrd in Old Strathcona (though it's been ages)
I'm assuming these aren't monthly though?

Some of them are monthly, such as clothes, gym gear, books and fuel. Tire, car maintenance and hardware are about 2 or 3 times a year while the rest are on an as-needed basis. Sorry if I broke your rule!

How efficient is your house? Map project plans to publish ratings for all Calgary, Edmonton homes​

$400K pilot project aims to combat climate change by arming consumers with data

the biggest problem with older homes is that the exterior walls were built with 2x4 so you can't get enough insulation in there.

only options are to add a second wall (very expensive) or outsulation, which I have not seen much if any for residential homes but definitely worth looking into.

Also people please upgrade your windows

I'd wager that if folks just did weatherstripping around doors and took a look at caulking around any penetrations they could save quite a bit.

A family member just spent $$$ to go to triple glazed everything only to still have a cold house. I was there over the holidays and pointed out that you could see daylight under their patio doors and sure enough there was a small gap. A quick trip to HomeDepot and we redid all of their doors with weather stripping and a new door bottom on said doors. Impressive results in a small older house for $200.00.

Edmonton's office vacancy rate rises, industrial market is hot though - Q4 2021 figures

The city’s industrial market finished the year with 2.1 million square feet of positive net absorption, the highest quarterly level since Q3 2013.

The overall availability rate dropped 1.4 per cent in Q4 to 7.0 per cent, mainly due to significant leasing activity in the northwest submarket.

Office vacancy rates are at 21.1 per cent, compared to the national average of 15.7 per cent. Downtown’s office vacancy rates increased to Q1 levels of 14.9 per cent.

I'd wager that if folks just did weatherstripping around doors and took a look at caulking around any penetrations they could save quite a bit.

A family member just spent $$$ to go to triple glazed everything only to still have a cold house. I was there over the holidays and pointed out that you could see daylight under their patio doors and sure enough there was a small gap. A quick trip to HomeDepot and we redid all of their doors with weather stripping and a new door bottom on said doors. Impressive results in a small older house for $200.00.

Many things factor in to what you can do to warm a home but sealing it up properly is a surprisingly often ignored thing for people to do when they purchase.

That said. Sometimes a house it just gonna be cold due to old weather insulation, 2X4 exterior walls, poorly insulated attics etc.

Triple pane can oftentimes end up being a bit of waste of money in such situations.

Edmonton's office vacancy rate rises, industrial market is hot though - Q4 2021 figures

The city’s industrial market finished the year with 2.1 million square feet of positive net absorption, the highest quarterly level since Q3 2013.

The overall availability rate dropped 1.4 per cent in Q4 to 7.0 per cent, mainly due to significant leasing activity in the northwest submarket.

Office vacancy rates are at 21.1 per cent, compared to the national average of 15.7 per cent. Downtown’s office vacancy rates increased to Q1 levels of 14.9 per cent.

Not bad vs 30% in DT Calgary.

33.2... but who's counting.

That said, there have been some decent sized deals happening there in the 25-50k+ ranges that we are not seeing and AA/A there is doing relatively well overall. Their B and C on the other hand...

They have a supply challenge whereas we have a demand issue.

Anyone hearing anything on CWB's RFP? The only thing that I have heard is someone in the financial world describing it as 'exciting'.

Paramount site?
Manu 2?
ICE BG?
Signature (ICE) Tower site on 101/104?
Remain?

Last edited:
Manulife 2 looks a little different in this image.

Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Aerial.jpg

Anyone hearing anything on CWB's RFP? The only thing that I have heard is someone in the financial world describing it as 'exciting'.

Paramount site?
Manu 2?
ICE BG?
Signature (ICE) Tower site on 101/104?
Remain?
CWB as in Canadian Western Bank? If so, didn’t they have an RFP for about 280k of office space last year? (Page 24 or so of this thread)

Automotive enterprise on the south east corner of 103ave/106st.

Reference ID: Job No 420180881-002
Description: Change of Use
Plan B2 Blk 5 Lot 151
Applicant: 1351862 ALBERTA LTD
Create Date: 1/13/2022 4:57:46 PM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Back