7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown Farmers Market

Kaizen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Opening day, Saturday May 18th

Very busy market. Every vendor I spoke with was very positive and happy with the turnout. I too like this location. As I walked a few blocks around the neighborhood I could feel the cool vibe of this market spilling out everywhere.

2019-05-18 324.JPG

2019-05-18 354.JPG

2019-05-18 357.JPG

2019-05-18 360.JPG

2019-05-18 362.JPG

2019-05-18 351.JPG

2019-05-18 372.JPG

2019-05-18 217.JPG

2019-05-18 395.JPG

2019-05-18 390.JPG

2019-05-18 342.JPG

2019-05-18 393.JPG

2019-05-18 403.JPG

2019-05-18 334.JPG

I'm quite torn about this. While I love seeing the old Army & Navy/GWG/Red Strap building get a tenant (even with a considerably handsome public subsidy), I can't see myself being a regular patron. It's just too far of a walk for me, and I suspect, for many other DT-area denizens. I wish it well, though.

Agree 100%. It's far from most residential. Myself I don't live downtown but have access to some free parking within a block of 104 street. So I used to go to the market regularly. Not sure how often I'll go now, but I'll have to check it out anyway.

104 Street was a very long, but doable and pleasant, walk for me and my dog in the summertime. 97th Street, indoors, with no access for my dog? That's gonna have to be a pass for me on most days. Put simply, the 104 Street market was great because of its setting. I want to be optimistic that 97th Street will have some charms of its own, but it's not immediately obvious what that will entail.

@Freedm, I think dogs are allowed during the winter market inside, but not 100% on that even after searching over their website. A phone call would work. Dogs allowed during outdoors market for sure. The "old" 104th market moved into City Hall during winter and I don't think dogs where allowed there at that point. I too hope this new location turns out well, as stated in my first post in back in May, "I could feel the cool vibe of this market spilling out everywhere".
I understand that many people will miss the 104th location, and for good reason.

This is from the markets website but is more outdoor market oriented I think.
Dogs at the Market
A Note For Dog Owners at Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market
During our outdoor season on 103 Ave. (May long weekend to Thanksgiving long weekend), the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market welcomes dogs in the market area, with the exception of stall areas as per AHS regulations. Service dogs are permitted inside the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market building. To ensure an enjoyable experience for everyone at the market, we strongly encourage dog owners to abide by the following rules:
  • Dogs are not allowed in the stall areas at any time and must be kept away from food samples, customers’ shopping bags, and table surfaces where customers are eating.
  • Please watch your dog at all times and curb its behaviours should it bark, snarl or snap at customers or other dogs in the market area. Aggressive dogs and their owners will be asked to leave the market.
  • Please keep your dog on a short, non-expandable leash and close to you at all times. Long leashes present a tripping hazard and minimize the necessity to maintain control over the dog at all times.
  • Owners are responsible for keeping their pets hydrated, cleaning up after them, and ensuring they pee and poo outside the market area whenever possible.
  • Not all our customers are dog lovers. Please be courteous of their preference to enjoy their day at the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market without any interaction with dogs.
Why Dogs Are Allowed at the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market When It Is Outdoors on 103 Ave and 96 Street
Like their owners, many dogs visit the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market on 103 Ave and 96 Street to enjoy the socializing opportunity the market offers. Because our market operates in an urban setting, we have very little control, authority and manpower to enforce a ‘No Dogs’ policy. We frequently receive comments that leashes present a tripping hazard and that it is unhygienic to have dogs around food. However, it is the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market position to allow dogs in the market area for the following reasons:
  • 103 Ave and 96 Street are public streets where dogs on leashes and under control are not normally prohibited by the City of Edmonton.
  • Some residents living above or in the vicinity of the market have dogs and must walk them through our farmers’ market to get to and from their homes.
  • Vendors are not allowed to bring dogs to the market and there are no dogs allowed in the stalls.
  • Under Alberta Health Services (AHS) regulations, all food must be covered, which minimizes contamination from all sources including dogs.
  • Food vendors are licensed by AHS, but AHS has no regulation or authority that would prevent dogs from visiting the market.
  • The Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market is licensed by Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development, and there is nothing in the licensing regulations concerning the presence of dogs at a market.
  • The Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market is not aware of any regulation which would require it to enforce a no-dog policy at our farmers’ market.
  • The Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market provides information to dog owners about appropriate etiquette and animal control issues, and will take action to remove dangerous or poorly behaved animals.
  • Finally, many city and farm folk have dogs in their homes and there is little evidence that their presence in these intimate situations cause a significant health hazard to healthy adults or children.
Thank you for your cooperation.

@archited , those little critters can be messy and scratch the hardwood floors fur sure ! Not unlike many other patrons unfortunately, and less friendly !

I toured the Farmers Market mid afternoon Sunday. Great day. It was the 103 ave outdoors version as interior of GWG building not quite finished but will be for next weekends House Warming Party.

"Join us between 10am-2pm on OCTOBER 12th, Thanksgiving weekend, for our House Warming Party, and see our new Year Round home in the newly renovated GWG building! The first 500 customers through the doors on the 12th will receive a free insulated market bag and $5 in market bucks! Plus, there will be tons of giveaways, prizes, entertainment, and more. Please note that the market is still open for business with its usual hours of 9am-3pm every Saturday, and 11am-3pm every Sunday. We sincerely hope to see all the familiar faces from our 104st & downtown community family, and some new ones too! Thank you for all the support as we grow into our new home! "

I had a great conversation with one of the directors of the Boyle Street Community League, Joelle, who was a wealth of information regarding the success/challenges of their much loved community. This market should prove to be an extremely important part of the equation. There was an expected drop in attendance in both vendors/visitors from its first run back in May. I venture that the market will be extremely successful.

A few pic's
DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 049.JPG

DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 029.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 019.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 047.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 106.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 078.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 049.JPG

A sneak peak of interior progress
DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 104.JPG

DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 103.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 038.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 036.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 034.JPG DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 104.JPG

Attachments

• DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 012.JPG
    DN. downtown from Church, Farmers marketm 97 st overpass 2019-10-06 012.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 245
PERMIT_DATE October 11, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 10305 - 97 STREET NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD BOYLE STREET
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct interior alterations to an existing general retail building.Tenant improvement to operate on main & lower level only, barrier free washroom on main. HVAC, lighting, fire alarm upgrade throughout, automatic sprinkler protection throughout for the "GWG Building Downtown Market". A separate Building Permit shall be required for tenant improvement 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor.
BUILDING_TYPE Retail and Shops (510)
WORK_TYPE (03) Interior Alterations
FLOOR_AREA 22,388.91
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 250,000

Back