News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown Crime

Last edited:
City provides $300,000 grant for increased security to Chinatown business community​

June 9, 2022

In response to safety and security concerns in Edmonton’s Chinatown community, the City has provided $300,000 in immediate funding to help Chinatown businesses with enhanced security monitoring.

“Chinatown business owners have been burdened by the financial costs of hiring private security to help keep their employees, buildings and businesses clean and safe,” said City Manager Andre Corbould. “On top of difficult social and economic challenges, this is too much hardship for the Chinatown community to bear. This grant will immediately alleviate some of this burden.”

This grant, one of the actions outlined in Edmonton’s Downtown Core and Transit System Safety Plan, will be administered by the Chinatown and Area Business Association. The grant will help hire nine security guards to patrol Chinatown 12 hours a day, seven days a week.

“Improved security in Chinatown will stimulate our local economy and help the people living and working here to feel safer,” said Wen Wang, Executive Director of the Chinatown and Area Business Association. “We want our Chinatown to return to the proud, vibrant, active community it once was.”

More information on the other safety initiatives underway as part of Edmonton’s Downtown Core and Transit System Safety Plan can be found atedmonton.ca/DowntownSafety.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/DowntownSafety

Media contact:
Erika Nakatsui
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-887-6435​

City launches comprehensive action plan to improve public safety​

June 9, 2022

In response to public safety challenges, the City has launched Edmonton’s Downtown Core and Transit System Safety Plan. With a focus on Downtown, including Chinatown and transit spaces, the plan outlines sixteen—12 recent and four upcoming—actions that support public safety.

“Every Edmontonian has the right to feel safe living in our communities, riding public transit or walking down our streets,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “We have heard from community advocates, business leaders and concerned citizens that the City needs to do more and that’s why we are. Edmonton’s Downtown Core and Transit System Safety Plan will immediately address these concerns.”

Some of the recent actions the City has taken to strengthen public safety include:
  • Establishing a Healthy Streets Operations Centre in Chinatown
  • Amending the Conduct of Transit Passengers bylaw
  • Increasing police presence downtown
  • Installing temporary public washrooms
  • Funding community recovery initiatives
  • Enhancing clean-up in parks, roads and alleys

“This plan builds on some of the work the City is already doing through the Community Safety and Well-Being Strategy, Downtown Vibrancy Strategy and Transit Safety and Security Plan, “ said City Manager Andre Corbould. “The City recognizes the many unique challenges facing our Downtown, including Chinatown. This plan will allow us to work closely with these communities to identify and respond to these challenges.”

Upcoming actions outlined in the plan include:
  • Improving social services supports
  • Increasing access to mental health and addiction programs
  • Enhancing community development
  • Stimulating economic development

“These upcoming actions will require longer-term planning and collaboration to address many of the underlying challenges of addiction, mental health issues and homelessness that are impacting public safety in our city,” said the City Manager.

Edmonton’s Downtown Core and Transit System Safety Plan was developed in response to the Government of Alberta’s request for the City to take immediate action to improve public safety. The plan and related documents can be found atedmonton.ca/DowntownSafety.​

For more information:
edmonton.ca/DowntownSafety

Media contact:
Erika Nakatsui
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-887-6435​

Vinesh with the $64,000 question.

vinesh pratap
@vineshpratap
Thursday afternoon thought:

Why did we - as a city - essentially have to reach near rock bottom on personal safety on transit before changing direction in strategy??

Vinesh with the $64,000 question.

vinesh pratap
@vineshpratap
Thursday afternoon thought:

Why did we - as a city - essentially have to reach near rock bottom on personal safety on transit before changing direction in strategy??
Andrew Knack refuted that in a reply, and linked a blog post by Anne Stevenson.

Paquette made the argument like this:

"I make a motion 2 years ago to enhance public safety in transit. After debate, it passes. A report comes first. Then Council uses the report as the springboard for a costed strategy. That comes back. 6 months to a year have passed by this time. Then Admin begins implementing the strategy. That takes money and hiring and training. There goes another 3-6 months. Then it goes live if we haven’t been delayed by a pilot project first to ensure the right money is going to the right places in the right way for results. So then we reach today, where EPS and Admin finally roll out more bodies to enforce and support.

In the meantime, Council is prodding, pushing, pulling for more rapid deployment, but logistics and budgetary restraints keep slowing everything down. Here we go, though. At last. I’ll be watching this effort with as much interest as everyone else. The process is super frustrating and slow and that is all about fiscal constraints and hiring restraints - basically attempting to ensure the budget isn’t blown out of proportion. Additionally, with these specific issues, we are WAY out of jurisdiction (mental health, addictions, houselessness) and have to justify that legally and financially.

Folks may have been concerned about transit safety in the past 6 months but we started the work 2 years ago or more.

Heck, it took me 4 years to get Food and AgriBusiness embedded as one of our economic pillars going forward and I had a ton of skepticism and eye-rolling when I first began. Now it’s a no-brainer."

And in another comment:

"The Transit Police Officer training that just occurred is an example.

We began asking about transit safety before the pandemic, and as things were in flux during that time and initially ridership was very low it was difficult for Administration to get an accurate bead on what was required as an investment (if anything - when these strange times were over, did things go back to normal?). What began to emerge is that due to factors beyond City control there was a steep increase in houselessness, mental health issues, and addiction issues in our streets. In addition to the pandemic we were (and are) now facing multiple crises at once.

The only reason it’s not worse is because of investments the City was making into mitigating these concerns already over the past few years - sadly the sheer human numbers increased more rapidly than could be forecasted for.

An example is that I started work on the COTT program 2 years ago, and a pilot was launched about one year ago. The pilot proved successful and in February Council approved a $3.9m safety plan presented by EPS and Admin that included the COTT approach. Since then, dozens of new Peace Officers have recently completed their training and are, as we speak, beginning the next phase of that safety plan approved last winter and folks should be seeing increased presence (I’m hearing that people ARE noticing a difference). The next batch of officers are now being trained but the City is having difficulty hiring social workers - the field is exhausted due to COVID, but we are being proactive.

That is just one thing Council and Admin have been working on in the area of Community Safety and Well Being."

So it's not that they waited until we hit "rock bottom" before acting. But could they have rushed the reports or pilots, or done something else to go faster - all while provincial supports keep getting cut? Maybe; I'd love to hear what you guys think.

I am concerned that this is taking up too much oxygen now.

Sohi needs to focus on Edmonton's economy. Provincial government just lavished yet another $22 million dollars on Calgary's newest vanity project, the "Quantum City". I've lost count of how many economic gifts Calgary has received that Edmonton has not under this UCP government. Crime is a big issue to be dealt with, but UCP is happy to let it become a distraction to the bigger issue, which is building Edmonton's economy. Sohi has to be on top of this.

The economy is going to take care of itself.

We just need to ensure Edmonton is an attractive place to invest, visit, set up offices and has improved air connections.

Most of the negative 'economic' stories I hear are from investors coming to the city for a tour or meeting and leaving appalled at the state of our financial district/Downtown.

Andrew Knack refuted that in a reply, and linked a blog post by Anne Stevenson.

"I make a motion 2 years ago to enhance public safety in transit. After debate, it passes. A report comes first. Then Council uses the report as the springboard for a costed strategy. That comes back. 6 months to a year have passed by this time. Then Admin begins implementing the strategy. That takes money and hiring and training. There goes another 3-6 months. Then it goes live if we haven’t been delayed by a pilot project first to ensure the right money is going to the right places in the right way for results. So then we reach today, where EPS and Admin finally roll out more bodies to enforce and support.

In the meantime, Council is prodding, pushing, pulling for more rapid deployment, but logistics and budgetary restraints keep slowing everything down. Here we go, though. At last. I’ll be watching this effort with as much interest as everyone else. The process is super frustrating and slow and that is all about fiscal constraints and hiring restraints - basically attempting to ensure the budget isn’t blown out of proportion. Additionally, with these specific issues, we are WAY out of jurisdiction (mental health, addictions, houselessness) and have to justify that legally and financially.

Folks may have been concerned about transit safety in the past 6 months but we started the work 2 years ago or more.

Heck, it took me 4 years to get Food and AgriBusiness embedded as one of our economic pillars going forward and I had a ton of skepticism and eye-rolling when I first began. Now it’s a no-brainer."

And in another comment:

"The Transit Police Officer training that just occurred is an example.

We began asking about transit safety before the pandemic, and as things were in flux during that time and initially ridership was very low it was difficult for Administration to get an accurate bead on what was required as an investment (if anything - when these strange times were over, did things go back to normal?). What began to emerge is that due to factors beyond City control there was a steep increase in houselessness, mental health issues, and addiction issues in our streets. In addition to the pandemic we were (and are) now facing multiple crises at once.

The only reason it’s not worse is because of investments the City was making into mitigating these concerns already over the past few years - sadly the sheer human numbers increased more rapidly than could be forecasted for.

An example is that I started work on the COTT program 2 years ago, and a pilot was launched about one year ago. The pilot proved successful and in February Council approved a $3.9m safety plan presented by EPS and Admin that included the COTT approach. Since then, dozens of new Peace Officers have recently completed their training and are, as we speak, beginning the next phase of that safety plan approved last winter and folks should be seeing increased presence (I’m hearing that people ARE noticing a difference). The next batch of officers are now being trained but the City is having difficulty hiring social workers - the field is exhausted due to COVID, but we are being proactive.

That is just one thing Council and Admin have been working on in the area of Community Safety and Well Being."

So it's not that they waited until we hit "rock bottom" before acting. But could they have rushed the reports or pilots, or done something else to go faster - all while provincial supports keep getting cut? Maybe; I'd love to hear what you guys think.

As a resident of the Downtown (16yrs) and transit user, my experience (along with many in our building) went from improving and filled with anticipation to fear, anxiety, multiple losses/damage due to theft or attempted and disappointment that we were F&(()&*ing left alone for literally two years. TWO! Our condo had more incidents in the last two years than the last 10+ combined.

They can say all they want, but Downtown (including Chinatown) was left to fend for itself and felt, no, WAS abandoned.

The business owners I spoke with said the same thing, as did visitors (the very few).

This would not have happened in most other neighbourhoods or part of our city (although I feel awful for 118ave at times and Stony Plain Road too).

Yes we had COVID to deal with which significantly constrained resources.
Yes there was/is a movement to defund the police which made things complicated and challenging
Yes we have an opioid crisis and other drug usage leading to a multitude of negative downtown stream impacts
Yes we have a significant rise in homelessness that needs to be recognized at the Provincial level and actually received proper resources to begin to address it

I don't envy decision makers or EPS, BUT you dont abandon your Downtown/core and literally put so much fear into many of its residents that they move out of the area or become prisoners in their own homes.

For shame.

Last edited:

Sorry does Paquette really think this makes the city council look better? That they had no sense of urgency and twiddled their thumbs and wasted time and money on consultants instead of actually doing something for YEARS until they were finally spanked by the province? lmao

Commissioning reports while Rome burns.

The economy is going to take care of itself.

We just need to ensure Edmonton is an attractive place to invest, visit, set up offices and has improved air connections.

Most of the negative 'economic' stories I hear are from investors coming to the city for a tour or meeting and leaving appalled at the state of our financial district/Downtown.
You live in Calgary now right?

this is such a sad ending following decades of failure by our provincial health and social services and justice systems.

it makes one wonder whether edmonton’s mayor could invoke the police act and serve notice on minister shandro demanding a written plan of action on how he’s going to make our streets safe.

Wow, shocking to read that RCMP dropped this offender off in Edmonton. Only for him to then kill 2 people mere days later. We are not a dumping ground for mental health cases and convicts. THIS HAS TO END!!

Back