News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

I was biking in Fort Sask today, on a couple of the MTB trails they have down by the river. It's an amazing area, smaller than places like Terwillegar etc, but really well maintained. Lots of really well-designed trails, with lots of trickier elements built righ into the main trail, with an easier bypass, and a couple jump areas. The whole place really struck me as well-planned and run.
Anyways, the best thing i saw there were these signs, placed at intervals along the main bit of singletrack that connected everything together. I think this is just so cool! so many trails in Edmonton are unnamed, or if they have a name, it's something odd that not everyone uses or recognizes, and has nothing to do with the location. It's a navigation and safety issue, and i think signs like these would go a long way towards improving emergency response in the River Valley.
View attachment 339206
That was an amazing write-up, thank you for sharing your experience! As someone who grrw up in Fort Sask, I always love hearing from visitors who experience these things for the first time! Out of curiosity, did you see any maps or waymarkers showing your location within the region? The city says it installed Rivery Valley Alliance maps throughout the system for people who are using the regional trail network, and I'm wondering if those maps are clearly visible and noticeable.

That was an amazing write-up, thank you for sharing your experience! As someone who grrw up in Fort Sask, I always love hearing from visitors who experience these things for the first time! Out of curiosity, did you see any maps or waymarkers showing your location within the region? The city says it installed Rivery Valley Alliance maps throughout the system for people who are using the regional trail network, and I'm wondering if those maps are clearly visible and noticeable.
yeah, Fort Sask has pretty good signage! the paths along the river are all well-signed. they don't show bike routes throughout the rest of the city (ie Veterans Way has a SUP that wasn't shown as such) but i found it really easy to figure out where i was in Fort Sask. the Riverside Trail, not as good. there are signs everywhere telling you that you're on the trail, but almost none of them have the little "you are here" stickers or anything, and given the maps refer to roads as Range Roads and Townships, and the physical signs at a lot of intersections refer to things as CoE streets or Sherwood Park names, it was harder to gauge where I was on that route. The Fort Sask signage is good, and consistent. the Riverside Trail seems more like and advert for the project.

yeah, Fort Sask has pretty good signage! the paths along the river are all well-signed. they don't show bike routes throughout the rest of the city (ie Veterans Way has a SUP that wasn't shown as such) but i found it really easy to figure out where i was in Fort Sask. the Riverside Trail, not as good. there are signs everywhere telling you that you're on the trail, but almost none of them have the little "you are here" stickers or anything, and given the maps refer to roads as Range Roads and Townships, and the physical signs at a lot of intersections refer to things as CoE streets or Sherwood Park names, it was harder to gauge where I was on that route. The Fort Sask signage is good, and consistent. the Riverside Trail seems more like and advert for the project.
Here's a picture of a waymarker, for reference. I never noticed that they include regional connections; these maps are really well done! They only show the river valley trail system for simplicity, but I do wish the maps contained at least the more major trail systems in other areas of the city.

20210820_135904.jpg20210820_140031.jpg20210820_135938.jpg20210820_135950.jpg

Last edited:
Wedgewood Ravine MUP reconstruction (old 184 Street connecting Cameron Heights and Wedgewood, pretty popular for city cyclists heading to the SW) is also likely to occur through September-October, as per the project manager.

I do have a copy of the construction bulletin with tentative plans (it was sent out in early summer), though apparently there should be more info forthcoming on the city website at some point in the near future. According to it, the whole road surface will be reconstructed, with the surface separated to create different sides for walking and cycling (complete with directional arrows for the latter). There also looks to be a viewpoint at the bottom of the hill near the creek.

Last edited:
There should be a law against vehicles parking on bike lanes, especially City of Edmonton maintenance vehicles.

Around 11:30 AM today, I saw a City of Edmonton maintenance vehicle parked on the bike lane at 103 St south of Jasper Ave even though there is a parking stall they could have used. When I questioned them why, one of the dudes said "we can park anywhere we want, buddy". I walked away, but in hindsight I should have snapped a pic and posted it on social media.

This is definitely something for the next mayor and the next city councilor to tackle, since I think Iveson and McKeen would be about as useful as a second asshole.

Wanted to share this new short video showcasing The Rev in Montreal - a nearly 4m wide bike lane (in spots)that is the spine of their large cycling network. Montreal is ranked top 20 best bike cities in the world.

People sometimes argue Edmonton can't have a large bike culture or great infrastructure because of our geographical location. But unlike Vancouver or even Toronto, Montreal's climate is quite similar to ours and yet their bike culture is flourishing - and not just in their most dense parts but also in districts well outside the centre. No reason this can't be Edmonton, too.

Last edited:
Wanted to share this new short video showcasing The Rev in Montreal - a nearly 4m wide bike lane (in spots)that is the spine of their large cycling network. Montreal is ranked top 20 best bike cities in the world.

People sometimes argue Edmonton can't have a large bike culture or great infrastructure because of our geographical location. But unlike Vancouver or even Toronto, Montreal's climate is quite similar to ours and yet their bike culture is flourishing - and not just in their most dense parts but also in districts well outside the centre. No reason this can't be Edmonton, too.

Montreal also gets 3x as much snow and is more humid/sweaty in the summer. Our climate is honestly so ideal for 5 months.

Id take dry and sunny over rain or super hot+humid like most other cities have.

Montreal also gets 3x as much snow and is more humid/sweaty in the summer. Our climate is honestly so ideal for 5 months.

Id take dry and sunny over rain or super hot+humid like most other cities have.
As a frequent winter cyclist, I'd argue that the freeze-thaw cycle is worse to deal with as opposed the -30 or colder days.

As a frequent winter cyclist, I'd argue that the freeze-thaw cycle is worse to deal with as opposed the -30 or colder days.
Yeah, after you get below -8, I feel like it's no difference till -30 or colder. You have to bundle up. So us being colder, but less snow and less melting vs like Toronto is sort of ideal for winter cycling.

NEW! Bike Network Connections and Street Changes proposed for Boyle Street and McCauley neighbourhoods as part of neighbourhood renewal.

Interestingly, although not part of this project, Jasper Avenue is listed for future network. With all the Reimagine Jasper Ave work, it's hard to imagine them adding bike lanes to the infrastructure they just redid - unless this is only referring to east section of Jasper.

Screenshot_20210913-220219_Instagram.jpg

Finally this area is getting fixed. This is the most horrendous part of the city.
I live here and I wouldn't say the pavement quality is the most horrendous. I would say, however, that outside of the LRT path the bike network is severely lacking. The only separated infrastructure that has been constructed are the block-long sections of 102A Avenue between 96 and 97 Streets and 96 Street between 103A Avenue and the LRT MUP. Residents in this area deserve the same quality infrastructure as those in wealthier neighbourhoods like Oliver, Westmount, Strathcona and Garneau.

Jasper Ave between 82 street and 102a Ave would benefit hugely from a nice wide well-used MUP to connect to the Oliverbahn/102Ave/102a Ave bike lanes.
I've got a coworker that lives around 84 street that would bike to work along either 105 Ave or 102 Ave further west, but she doesn't feel safe getting to those lanes on the LRT MUP.

Back