News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

EMBFEST (Edmonton Mountain Bike Festival) is taking place tonight and this weekend on the south end of the Walterdale Bridge.

Wedgewood Ravine path repaving is pretty much done, except for a very small section of the entrances from Cameron Heights and Wedgewood. Great to have this connector back in service, and a fresh new path (that hill is a killer going towards Cameron).
!View attachment 423162

Update: The Wedgewood Ravine trail looks to be completed! There's new landscaping, benches, garbage bins and fencing. The re-paved trail now has a dedicated bike lane on one side, and a pedestrian lane on the other. This will make the path safer for everyone, as there used to be a risk of someone being in the way and getting hit due to the curves and blind corners if there were any bikes coasting at high speeds down the hill. There is also a nice little viewing point at the bottom of the ravine on both sides.

unnamed-1.jpgunnamed-2.jpgunnamed-3.jpgunnamed-4.jpgunnamed-5.jpgunnamed-6.jpgunnamed-7.jpgunnamed-8.jpgunnamed-9.jpgunnamed-10.jpgunnamed.jpg

Update: The Wedgewood Ravine trail looks to be completed! There's new landscaping, benches, garbage bins and fencing. The re-paved trail now has a dedicated bike lane on one side, and a pedestrian lane on the other. This will make the path safer for everyone, as there used to be a risk of someone being in the way and getting hit due to the curves and blind corners if there were any bikes coasting at high speeds down the hill. There is also a nice little viewing point at the bottom of the ravine on both sides.

View attachment 427170View attachment 427171View attachment 427172View attachment 427173View attachment 427174View attachment 427175View attachment 427176View attachment 427177View attachment 427178View attachment 427179View attachment 427180
Woah. Amazing!! This needs to become the new norm for popular MUPs I think!

Going to be in there this weekend. Looking forward to seeing this. And looks amazing. I still remember it as a great little road to race through when it was the only way down to EL Smith.

Edmonton city Council has prepared its report on options for completing the bike network by 2026. It goes to the Urban Planning committee on the 27th. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Having read through the documents, I got the sense of "we'll do it if we have to," but that may just be my interpretation. If you don't have time to rifle through the Urban Planning committee report, this page sums up the options councillors will be asked to consider:

filestream.ashx

Edmonton city Council has prepared its report on options for completing the bike network by 2026. It goes to the Urban Planning committee on the 27th. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. Having read through the documents, I got the sense of "we'll do it if we have to," but that may just be my interpretation. If you don't have time to rifle through the Urban Planning committee report, this page sums up the options councillors will be asked to consider:

filestream.ashx
Yeah, we really need to be more aggressive for how cheap it is to install a lot of these lanes vs other kinds of infrastructure. In the same time it’ll take to do a 14km train, we could build 200kms of bike lanes for like 6-8% the cost of the west valley…

Sure we won’t see hundreds of thousands of trips every day of the year on them, but the ROI is super high

Going to be in there this weekend. Looking forward to seeing this. And looks amazing. I still remember it as a great little road to race through when it was the only way down to EL Smith.
Jut FYI - I believe the bridge under the Henday might be closed due to the construction above, if you're planning on coming from the SW area.

filestream.ashx

I thought the motion from Coun. Salvador was a plan to fast track 408km of bike infrastructure. These options only address a portion of that.

Screenshot_20220917-170036_Office.jpg

Jut FYI - I believe the bridge under the Henday might be closed due to the construction above, if you're planning on coming from the SW area.
Some of my ridding group crossed over yesterday to meet us at Malinas. So the under bridge is open. .

I thought the motion from Coun. Salvador was a plan to fast track 408km of bike infrastructure. These options only address a portion of that.

View attachment 427488
Coun. Salvador responded to my inquiry about this and said the largest reason for the difference appears to be that administration's report mostly focuses on the district connector network, rather than neighbourhood routes which would make up the majority. While this may well be a reasonable approach, she said, the report does not expand on why this determination was made. She will ask about this at Urban Planning Committee.

There have been a lot more people biking to the U of A this year than previous years. Makes sense given all the bike lanes they have added to Garneau. These were all taken at 2pm on a weekday and there are many, many more bike racks around campus.
20220921_150125.jpg20220921_141700_HDR.jpg20220921_141516.jpg20220921_141505.jpg20220921_141439_HDR.jpg20220921_141306.jpg20220921_141207_HDR.jpg20220921_140713_HDR.jpg20220921_135920_HDR.jpg

Back